Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Plugs fouling out? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/plugs-fouling-out-15123/)

riverjamie 12-25-2008 03:26 PM

RE: Need help again on Spark Plugs Fouling out

Thanks for the tip on checking after a short time. Yes all the plugs look very simular black color. I should be able to attach the pictures before 5pm PST. I have a the older set APP25's 1/07from the past which I used some cleaner and a small wire brush. They cleaned up pretty good, of course the white insulator is no long white more of a gray color. Do you think I should try them first then get the cat installed, then switch in the AC Delco CR43TSM's? I can't believe that the APP25's could be the problem, do you?

Thanks again

riverjamie 12-25-2008 05:32 PM

Okay here's the picture oftwo of the APP25 plugs that I just pulled out.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/p...ouledPlugs.jpg

swartlkk 12-25-2008 06:26 PM

Those plugs are carbon fouled, not necessarily fuel fouled. The look is different. And no, I do not believe that the plugs are the cause of it. I would definitely look into getting that cat replaced after seeing those plugs.

riverjamie 12-26-2008 10:17 AM

deleted

riverjamie 12-26-2008 02:58 PM

Okay this morning I installed the old plugs and the car was still acting the same at idle, it would go "woo, woo, woo" or surging, like it was almost going to die then would pick back up for while then again almost die(for a lack of a better way to discribe it). Usually installing the new plugs solves this? So first I look all over for a vacuum leak but could not find any. Next install new CR43TS plugs, same result. Now I'm on my way to have a new converter installed. I hope this is it. Could the fuel pump cause this problem?

Thanks again

rriddle3 12-26-2008 03:23 PM

Please use the edit feature to add to a post if nobody has replied to the last one. I am combining these last two posts.

riverjamie 12-26-2008 05:34 PM

I wanted to ask you, do you think I should also replace the O2 sensor because of the carbon fouling? Even though it has less than 500 miles on it, would the carbon fouling damage it?

Okay this morning I installed the old plugs and the car was still acting the same at idle, it would go "woo, woo, woo" or surging, like it was almost going to die then would pick back up for while then again almost die(for a lack of a better way to discribe it). Usually installing the new plugs solves this? So first I look all over for a vacuum leak but could not find any. Next install new CR43TS plugs, same result. Now I'm on my way to have a new converter installed. I hope this is it. Could the fuel pump cause this problem?

Just had thenew Catalytic Converter installed, rattles gone, but still same problem with the idling"Woo, Woo, Woo". While driving to have it installed and returning home I had to put the car in netural when stopped at signs or it might die. While on the freeway it seemed to have plenty of power. The"service eng soon" light came on,a friend has a checker,but not sure if it will read this computer, I believe it'sa OBD 1.5, the under hood sticker says OBD 1certified. But I could not read any codesout ofthe computer in the past when I rented on from AutoZone because it would on read OBD2, but my car has a OBD 2 type connector (I hope this makes sense). Engine is to hot to do anything with now. So tomorrow morning I will remove the spark plugs take a picture and post. The car went 30 miles at 55-70mph. I hope this might show something?

So to sum things up, Now new CR43TS spark plugs(can't get TSM no more).Also hasnew spark plug wires, dist cap and rotor, fuel filter, FPR (when I installed this I did not really see any pools of gas in the plenum area, also has original spider and nut assy),O2 senser (but I did not change again afterthe new converter was installed, it only had 400 miles on it), new CatalyticConverter, air filter, some vacuum lines that Icould see were bad. Also used Seafoam to help remove carbon, put in intake and fuel tank. CheckedFuel pressure with only iginition on (motor not runing) 55-60PSI withignition offfor 30 minutes 55PSI.

It's never had such a problem with the Woo Woo Woo idle? Usually installing new spark plugs it runs pretty smooth, but it was using a lot of gas poor mileage 10 mpg.

I hopes this all helps, almost at the end of my rope with this one.

Thanks

swartlkk 12-26-2008 08:01 PM

I am going to recommend something just as a diagnostic tool. Get yourself a new EGR gasket. Also get some 12-16 gauge sheet metal. Trace the outside profile and bolt holes from the gasket onto the sheet metal and cut/drill it to size. Put the gasket down onto the mounting location with the plate, then the EGR valve and tighten it down. Hook up the electrical connection and then test drive it. After that, let us know how the test drive went.

riverjamie 12-27-2008 12:06 PM

Hello again, okay it looks like we found something. This morning I removed the one of the plugs to send a picture here it is old and new. Also not sure if I can paste two more pictures if not will send separte, one of the close up of new plug and the carbon deposits I found lodged in the EGR valve holding the plunger from closing. Icleaned it out the best I could with some brake cleaner and tools. I think the plunger may be a little sluggish, if I repress it and release it fast it returns all the way to the top against the housing but IfI release it slowly it seemsnot to seat against thehousing. How strong should the return spring be? Maybe it'stime to replace? I did a price check on this item$80-140 depending on manufacture. One after market is fromRock Auto.com,the manufacter is Standard Motor Products, Model EGV515T for $80,have you ever used one of these?

Where are these large deposits coming from? When I did the FPR way back in 2007 I found that the EGR ports were plugged up on the intake manifold, at the time I also cleaned the best I could and vacuumed. The ports on the intake NOW still look pretty clean no chunks of carbon built up. Would the bad Catalytic Converter cause this build up and large chunks? Please remember that I also put in SeaFoam carbon and injector cleaner in gas and intake after it still acted up back earlier this year after I did all the tune up stuff, fuel items, and FPR. Do you think this additive caused the large chunks to let go?Should I get a EGR Gasket with Screen? Should I go a head and do the test for the EGR Valve by cutting the metal and covering the ports, even though we know it was held open by the carbon? If we do it anyhow will it blow out any more carbon on the highway?

After all this will this could the bad catalytic converter and clogged EGR valve cause the lack of gas mileage?

I know this is a lot of questions, I really appreicate all the assistance you have provided to me.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/p...andoldplug.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/p...wPlugalone.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/p...tsEGRValve.jpg

swartlkk 12-27-2008 04:18 PM

I would definitely recommend getting an EGR gasket with a screen. At least if it plugs up, it will only trip a CEL and not really cause too many drive-ability concerns. You will not want to leave it that way without modifying the PCM as the recirculation of exhaust gases actually reduces cylinder temperatures. A burnt exhaust valve can result from running the engine with a plugged closed EGR valve. Now, will this happen in a few hundred miles, no, but...

As far as the source of that carbon... It is possible that when you cleaned the intake, you did not get all the way through to where the exhaust gases enter into the port from the exhaust manifold or cylinder head as I cannot remember where it enters from in the CPI motors. The seafoam probably has helped to loosen these deposits.

How does the truck run now that you have cleaned the EGR valve again?