Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

found bearing between tranny and transfer case and shifter doesnt work right???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Beginning Member
hardyboy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation found bearing between tranny and transfer case and shifter doesnt work right???

My blazer locked into 4hi going down the highway breaking the front shaft transfer case and my shifter cable. I am curently replacing all of this and i got the shifter cable in the truck now i cant get it to shift right, reverse is between park and where it should be i have no park it skips neutral and overdrive goes into drive skips 2nd and goes into 1st. Im not sure how to adjust the cable?? could someone help with that?

Also i took my transfer case out and found a bearing between the tranny and transfer case im not sure where its from i cant find any holes where it could have came out. Should i change my transmission just to be safe??

Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

"shift+cable+adjustment" will get you the info on how to properly adjust your shift cable.

As far as the "bearing" you found... How large is it? Picture?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Beginning Member

The bearing is about 1/2 inch diameter maybe a little less I've torn other trannys apart and never found one that big but never took the 4l60e apart before
I just don't want to put the transfer case in and find out the trannys bad too
I have an extra tranny already I kept the one out of my 99 when it was rolled thinking they cost alot it works good and only had 35000 miles on it

Another question. Is it ok for me to put the transfercase out of a 95 in my 96 or use the 99 in it I have both 96 and newer looks a little bigger

Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about a 1/2" diameter steel ball? The only roller bearings that large that I can think of would be in the transfer case and even then I don't think they are that large...

As far as your transfer cases go, it all depends on what they are and what your truck originally came equiped with. The ID tags should be on the back of the t-case between the fill & drain plugs. The '99 trans will have a different bolt pattern on the output (6 vs 4 bolts).

Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Beginning Member

the bolt holes were all the same the 96 and 99 were both a little bigger but i put the 95 transfer case into it everything lined up good the plug was a little different i had to go buy a bolt a little longer to get the plug full of wires on it how its supposed to be other then that everything went together fine
im still having trouble with the shifter though