Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Pretty sure my alt died, (pic) (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/pretty-sure-my-alt-died-pic-43151/)

gaspricessuckk 04-08-2010 10:11 AM

Pretty sure my alt died, (pic)

1 Attachment(s)
drove a hour and a half away, half way through the trip battery light comes on and voltage drops from 14 to ten, get to my location turn truck off it just clicks won't turn on, two hours later it starts, everything is dim, dies, two hours later get it jumped twice, each time took off the jumper cables it rain for a min, then everything starting to power off, headlights first, gauages in the dash next then it cut off

guy at napa thinks its alternator, so had to wait a hour and a half for tow truck, to get it towed a hour and a half home. now its just parked missing me

getting off tow truck \/

zedartwo 04-08-2010 12:19 PM

Dude, You gotta resize your pictures! Is a page and a half wide. I would say your alt is dead.

gaspricessuckk 04-08-2010 03:38 PM

yeah i know, **** is annoying. i just dont have photoshop and hate paint lol i got a 200 dollar alt instead of the 119, more power, its at the shop today

zedartwo 04-08-2010 04:46 PM

What are the differences exactly?

Use photobucket. Its free and gives you an online album if your computer ever crashes. You can make it private.

MTopper 04-08-2010 06:27 PM

what alternator did you buy for $200?

gaspricessuckk 04-08-2010 08:25 PM

differences between the alts?

any one knows you can get a performance alt. or w.e for a lil more money then a stock one, i will have to ask what it is tomorrow or ill stop over at napa i believe the price from napa was 189.

Benedict1337 04-08-2010 09:47 PM

the stock alternator puts out 105 amps. An aftermarket or "high output" puts out 160-200 amps depending on what you get. The only practical reason to get one is if you are running a lot of extra power from your truck. I know when I have all my lights on and my stereo turned up the volts go down to about 10-11 with the brakes engaged. I'm probably running the max amount of stuff anyone would want to be running off a stock alternator. But if you aren't running that much stuff off your battery don't waste the money to get a high output. the $80 oem stock one comes with a lifetime warrenty

gaspricessuckk 04-09-2010 06:32 AM

i always run my sound system every single day, and will am getting even more subs, i have like 4 right now, getting more.

MTopper 04-09-2010 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by gaspricessuckk (Post 319872)
i always run my sound system every single day, and will am getting even more subs, i have like 4 right now, getting more.

What subs are you running right now in your truck? i'm just curious

ComputerNerdBD 04-09-2010 12:49 PM

I just replaced my alternator on Sunday. I was getting weird voltage readings when various stuff was on, so I went to Advance Auto Parts and had it tested. They said that there was a ripple and that the Drain Test was showing suspect and other numbers were off, so I replaced the alternator on Easter Sunday. Here is the website I used to get the instructions in case you haven't done it before: http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv...ce/99_gmc.html

I haven't done any repairs like it, but it was easier than I thought. Getting it off the engine is the hardest part. Have a pry bar handy. The belt can also be difficult removing it from the engine. Also my recommendation: get a battery brush from Walmart and CLEAN ALL OF YOUR CONNECTIONS. That helped alot and now my truck runs at a constant 13-14v no matter if I have nothing turned on or everything on(rear defroster, high beams, fog lights, new driving lights, heated seats, a/c, radar detector, GPS, LED lights, radio, Sirius, backup camera, the whole nine yards!). Also I bought the remanufactuered alternator from Advance for 129.99 + 25.00 core. Seems to work well for the price. Good luck.