Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Radiator help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Ayieka is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator help...

I'll start at the beginning, I had to replace my water pump on my 2002 4x2 Chevy Blazer 4.6 V6. So we got all of that said and done. I drove it around for a day and realized my coolant was leaking from the radiator. So my brother and I proceeded to take out the radiator. We sealed the bolts by the hose connectors so it wouldn't leak any further. Then put it all back together. My brother also sealed 2 other pieces (Pictured below) I turned on my truck and the next thing I knew transmission fluid started shooting out. What I was wondering was:

1.) Did he possibly puncture the hose for the transmission fluid by putting the radiator back in?

2.) Did he patch up the bottom two nozzles that need to be open?

3.) By patching up the holes that didn't need to be patched did he cause a pressure build up in the radiator?

I need to be sure on what I have to fix before I go and re-drain my entire radiator and reservoir again. The transmission hose doesn't seem to have a hole in it but it may if the line continues under the radiator.

Any help I can get on this would be great. Thank you very much in advance.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Your tranny cooler and radiator are two seperate systems. I'd trace the leak forward and up. It could be as easy as a connection that came loose.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the radiator is broken, those two locations should be sealed up all on their own. Sounds like something was installed incorrectly.

No sealer is necessary on the transmission lines. If any pipe dope or tape was used, that could explain the problem there.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM

The hose on the drivers side was leaking coolant (On the radiator connection.), we went to tighten it, and it started to leak even further, so thus we took off the radiator to see where the leak was coming from (Be the house or actual radiator.) And patch it up or replace the hose. Turns out it was the radiator. So we patched that up, went down and realized the two things I was worried about is nothing. I'll need a new radiator soon but that's cake. For now the coolant, radiator, and hoses are all fine and working correctly. (Turns out brother didn't tighten one of them, which in turn caused the massive leak.)

Thank you again for the help ^-^ Although I found tinkering a bit made me see what we had done wrong.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

When you do end up replacing the radiator... install new hoses and thermostat at the same time, that way your cooling system will be "maintenance free" for a good while.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Found where and why the coolant was leaking, it wasn't a constant leak, but it would have definitely drained my coolant give a day or so. Where the radiator goes into the radiator mount are 2 rubber stoppers. (I know the name of them, just spaced as of now for it) They need to be replaced. Although the most common answer at auto shops would be they don't carry them and I have to go to the dealership I found an easier way of replacing them. Going to the junkyard and getting new ones for more then 4 times less the cost. What's happening basically is the coolant is leaking and it looks like the bottom hose at first, when you climb under you see its draining from the prong at the bottom of the radiator in the rubber stopper. So I'll be replacing them tomorrow. I have a new thermostat and new water pump along with new hoses. Next is the radiator although there's nothing wrong with it I know it'll need to be done next. I wanted to post my solution here in case any one else runs into this problem. It was very hard to find but easy to fix and cheap at that. Thank you all again for the help and suggestions. ^-^

Last edited by Ayieka; 05-16-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Those rubber pieces are just isolators that support the radiator.

If it is leaking in this location, your radiator is cracked. You likely will never seal it up completely.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

You could try JB Weld. No promises on how long that will last though.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

^^ that might be a decent temporary solution until you have the funds/time to repair it correctly or replace the radiator if need be.