Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Radiator replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 12:50 PM
Starting Member
pjdupont1 is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator replacement....

Hey guys , I'm just about to start on a radiator replacement and Blazer vortec 4.3 is there any thing that I should know before I get started anything crazy or just go by the Haynes manual and I should be good huh?

Old 03-31-2020, 02:56 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Haynes manual makes good kindling.

”While you’re in there”, things on my list would be:

- flush system
- new thermostat
​​​​​​- new upper and lower hose
- new water pump
- new serpentine belt
- 8 psi GM cap

Things I’d seriously consider:

- new fan clutch
- replace trans fluid while you’ve got the cooler lines off

Old 03-31-2020, 03:12 PM
Starting Member
pjdupont1 is on a distinguished road
Default completed most of list already. ...

My 99 Blazer has sat under a little ole ladies carport for 4 years. Never was cranked or anything as far as maintenance goes. She's a good friend of my parents who live across the street from her. Her husband died about 5 years ago and she's practically legally blind and didn't care to drive it anymore after he died so I finally walked over there and I'm good friends with her too and asked her if she would like to sell it to me. Few days go by and my parents call me and tell me I need to go and talk with her I don't knock on the door and she comes to the door and says I thought about it real long and hard I'm not going to take any money from you because you don't need to buy this vehicle, I said why not?? She said because I'm going to give it to you. Long story short is a 99 Chevrolet Blazer 2 door 145000 miles. I dropped the tank scrubbed it change the fuel pump change the starter change the tires change the serpentine belt idler pulley and tensioner pulley I'm now the radiator change the plugs and wires oil oil filter air filter thermostat. I know I've got a few other things to do. I appreciate you getting back with me on that one question, don't you have to pump the automatic transmission fluid out of there that's what my understanding was you had to pump it all out and then pump it in I could completely be wrong though but I might do that. Appreciate you getting back with me. one other question these fittings that came in the new radiator can I just take the o-rings off the new fittings and put the o-rings on the old fittings and still use the old fittings just swap over the o-rings is that a good or bad idea?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:28 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Here ya go, it’s from the S10 forum but it’s the same procedure:

https://www.s10forum.com/threads/doi...urself.313227/