Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Remote Engine Oil Cooler installation? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/remote-engine-oil-cooler-installation-99482/)

christine_208 05-05-2019 08:27 PM

Remote Engine Oil Cooler installation?

Hi all,

So I'm planning to install an upgraded radiator in my 1999 Blazer but there is a problem; there is no provision for the oil-cooler lines on the new one. The OEM style has an engine oil cooler built into the radiator just like it has for the automatic transmission fluid. So I'm looking for thoughts how how to plumb a dedicated engine oil cooler.

Has anyone here any experience installing a stand-alone engine oil cooler? Which one did you use? Was it the right size for cooling? How did you plumb it and where did you run the lines? Where did you mount it?

Thanks

cleburne red 05-05-2019 09:07 PM

Nothing to add, but curious as well. I'm adding a trans cooler soon, and kinda thinking about a standalone oil cooler as well. Then I can add a bigger radiator, with out those extra coolers

christine_208 05-05-2019 11:08 PM

I already have an extra transmission cooler. I had it added when I had the transmission rebuilt.

Because I use my truck for towing, I know the temperatures can get hot. Some of the grades I climb are pretty large and often on hot days.

blazen_red_4x4 05-05-2019 11:32 PM

I would assume you would add it in the same manor the external transmission cooler is installed. I'd be willing to bet that both systems see about the same pressures.

eshaw 05-06-2019 07:21 AM

If you do towing you need the cooler, if not towing a cooler isn't required. There are some good coolers available at the recycling yards. The one that came on the LT1 Caprice, circa 94-97. They have 1/2 inch tubing and are a plate style cooler. They work well. Just remember, you get what you pay for when you buy stuff like this. Derale and others make good quality units. Don't use the type that mount to the radiator with the plastic push pins. If you want to read up on them go to Grumpys Performance Garage. There's tons of information on these units there.

2001ZR2 05-06-2019 06:54 PM

Or a radical thought is to run without the oil cooler.

Many people do this when the lines leak from the engine to the remote oil filter location. They change out the connection to mount the oil filter on the block.

Mine came this way and runs pretty well or has for about 16,000 mile since October 2017.

cleburne red 05-06-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2 (Post 708248)
Or a radical thought is to run without the oil cooler.

Many people do this when the lines leak from the engine to the remote oil filter location. They change out the connection to mount the oil filter on the block.

Mine came this way and runs pretty well or has for about 16,000 mile since October 2017.

You could, and would most likely be fine. But if the option to have an oil cooler is there, why not?

christine_208 05-06-2019 09:30 PM

One of tough to answer questions has been how determine the size of the cooler to get; e.g. total surface area, energy loss rate (BTU/hr).

I've also learned that there are thermostatically controlled valves that will circulate the oil until it gets hot enough. This is used on air-cooled coolers when a water-cooled type, like in our OEM radiators, is used which will keep the oil from getting too cold.

2001ZR2 05-06-2019 10:05 PM

Mine was converted by the previous owner and I haven't spent the funds to reverse it as it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

The temperature follows the t stat which is a 195 degree but I have made sure the cooling system is top notch with a new radiator, water pump, flush and t stat.

Obviously having it would be a benefit but not a necessity as it would seem.

Did put an external trans cooler on when I had to have the trans rebuilt.

Been thinking about adding an external when I replumb the stock one and using them in series with a bypass but it's all where the your priorities are.

LesMyer 05-07-2019 11:01 AM

I would think an upgrade radiator should include the oil cooler if it's truly an upgrade. Just sayin'