Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Recent clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Starting Member
kain35m is on a distinguished road
Default Recent clutch problem

My wife drove us up the hill to go skiing last night. seems like everything was fine, as far as I could hear. However, this morning, I got in to go to work, and when I put the truck in first gear and let off the clutch, I hear and feel a horrible grinding in the clutch pedal. I stopped, made sure the shifter was fully engaged in the gear, put my clutch foot to the floor, and carefully tried to pull off again. Worse! grinding, and chunking noises coming from in the transmission area. WTH is going on with this vehicle?

My theory: the "fingers" in the middle of the clutch friction disc (I forgot what they're called) have somehow gone bad and whenever I press the clutch in, it grinds.

problem with that theory: it only does this when I'm pulling off from a stop.
Reverse does the same thing, so I thought it might be the 1/R synchro, so I started off in second gear, no dice, same grinding.

If I let the truck roll forward 1-2 mph, it doesn't do it. plus it doesn't reeeally do it any other time or any other speed. I put it in fourth gear and it did grind a little once, but I may have been imagining it...otherwise, it's smooth as butter, but stop fully? I could cry.

I'm getting depressed because I don't have any money (especially $1000's of dollars) to put into this truck or get another vehicle. I was just starting to halfway break even with my bills. plus, it's snowy outside and the only other vehicle I have is a mustang with bald tires and too much torque to drive in the snow, so I'm stuck. What do I do????? Panic? Scream? I don't think that would help too much, but it's all I've got right now...