Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Serious Transmission Problems, any advise would be great (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/serious-transmission-problems-any-advise-would-great-51085/)

ruff8344 11-05-2010 09:30 PM

Serious Transmission Problems, any advise would be great

Hey guys,
I see a TON of trans issues in this thread and I'm hoping I can get some input from some of you that have been down this road before but i recently started having issues with my trans on my 4x4 '00 blazer and they have only gotten worse.

First i had a thud everytime it shifted into second and sometimes third and this only happened occasionally which led me to believe it may have been bad U joints

Second i had a vibration about two days ago just on my way to work coming from the trans area but it went away...

I was going to take it to get looked at but ive been so busy working 15 hour days that i figured if my trans was gonna go it was gonna go no matter what and i might as well drive it till it does..

So last night i think i put it on its last limb lol... it shifts fine then holds second till about 3500rpms before shifting and i have NO REVERSE.. FML

My question is i know i need a new trans.. got quoted 1800 for a rebuild/fix with 3 year warranty from one place and 2500 from another... im mechanically inclined but should i dish out the cash and call it a day on a vehicle thats only worth 4gs or should i do it myself and risk having problems in a month year, etc

im in NJ if anyone knows a place they had theirs done, that would be great

sorry for the long post..thanks in advance gent's

bigdaddykane93 11-06-2010 02:23 AM

2 grand is A LOT! i would not spend that much on it. your better of swapping or rebuilding it yourself....

swartlkk 11-06-2010 05:12 PM

You can always go the used trans route. It will be considerably cheaper than a rebuild.

TZFBird 11-06-2010 10:55 PM

You should plan on bad things happening shortly.

If you have the time and desire, just buy a $20 rebuild book and pick up the parts. It is already broke and you're not out any more than about $150 (depending on where you get your parts from online). Parts stores are going to run upwards of $300 for a kit.

I'm not an expert by any means, but if you have any questions PM me and I can give you a list of things to check and a basic upgrade parts list.

ruff8344 11-09-2010 05:21 PM

are these trannys hard to swap at all? i found a few trannys for like 700 to my door with warranty

atvwarrior 11-09-2010 05:53 PM

I recently rebuilt my transmission myself and that was not has hard as i figured . Taking the transmission out is fairly simple to , but I would get the repair manual for your vehicle . A very long extention is a must for the bell housing bolts .