Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Slipping auto trans 95 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Brocktward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slipping auto trans 95 4wd

My automatictranny on my 95 seems to be slipping a little at high revs, it will almost redline the tach if I dont let off the gas, it has only happened three times, also it seems to be going in and out of overdrive when I go highway speed, about 65???
Any ideas what to do first, perhaps an additive???

Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Slipping auto trans 95 4wd

Hows the trrany fluid look and smell. Also have you done a flush recently you may need a high mileage addative to increase friction in the tranny.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM

I had the fluid service done a few months ago but I have gone 20,000 miles since then.
Do addativies do any harm?
Will the computer put out a code for that?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Could it be your torque converter locking and unlocking? How much of an RPM change do you see?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucas tranny fix.

Although you will need to save your $100 for the rebuild that is coming your way. No fluid change or additivewill fix a tranny problem. They are temporary solutions at best.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Well what I first thought was a fuel problem, hard to tell due to being mostly deaf and going by feel alone until the slipping happened, So I check my tranny fluid yesterday and it is 2 qts low and I dont have a leak, I take it to EZ lube every 4 weeks and they said it was fine, last time I'll trust them, perhaps thats why they are getting sued, this problem has been going on thru 3 oilchanges where they promise to top off the fluids. I'm sure there are good people working at some EZ lubes but not at the one by my home in Laguna Niguel Ca. I paid for a new fuel filter change and later found the original still on the car when I went to a differient EZ lube and they said I needed a new one a month later. NO MORE EZ LUBE FOR ME!
It is working much better now, did running it that low do dammage?
Is there an adjustment possible to get it to shift a little firmer, I carry a load in it every day?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

2qts so it wasnt even up to the dip stick. Before you checked it did you do a 10 second hold in each gear and then back so the fluid would go everywhere it should. I think it outlines it in the manual. Does the fluid smell burnt or look discolored now?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM

It wasnt on the stick, I followed the directions in the manual to be sure and put in a pint at a time and repeated the process again until full, it smells ok and is working good now, I hope I caught it in time. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of fluid will cause tranny problems. Keep on eye on it. Trannys don't use up fluid. If your low its going somewhere. If your not seeing it on the ground, under the truck on the frame, in the oil, in the coolant, it will be going into your t-case. Let ti go too long and you will have HVAC problems. Keep an eye on it.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

I think the guy at the EZ lube didnt top it off when they serviced it back at the first of the year because it has been acting up since then. Ill keep my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Slipping auto trans 95 4wd