Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Spark plugs stuck and broken (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/spark-plugs-stuck-broken-72300/)

Oystein 07-16-2012 04:07 AM

Spark plugs stuck and broken

Some issues here. :icon_bricks:
Was going to change my spark plugs for the first time after buying this car. Should have done it long ago, but other things came in the way.

So, the first plug comes out okay (started with the front passenger side plug). The second plug (middle passenger side), however, only partly comes out. The threaded part and the bent electrode is left within the head.

These pictures are from a Honda forum, but should show you what I mean. This is what came out:

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zn1qnk.jpg

And this is what is left in the head:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mfc3f6.jpg

Now, I have ordered a bolt extraction kit (something that looks like the "Easy Out" tool), and hopefully I'll be able to get it out without disassembling the engine :icon_confused:

The third spark plug (rear passenger side) was really stuck. The engine was cold at this point, which I suspect was a factor. Anyway, while trying to get it out, I slipped and twisted my wrench in such a way that the tip broke clean off. I.e. the part surrounded by ceramic that the spark plug wire is supposed to connect to. So I can still get a socket on like normal (and hopefully get it out), but I can not connect a wire.

My plan now is just to wait for the extraction kit, and when that arrives hopefully get the middle plug out. Then I was hoping to start the engine to heat it up and make it easier to remove the rest.

My question is: Is this a good plan, or will it damage my engine to start with one spark plug disconnected from the distributor? Should I remove that wire completely or leave it on the distributor?

Thogert 07-16-2012 04:30 AM

If you think those two were a pain, wait until you try to get the middle plug on the drivers side out. If you have problems with that one check out the diy section here for a thread called 'spark plug #3 removal - compilation' for some help and ideas.

97cherryblazer 07-16-2012 06:59 AM

And as far as starting the engine with a plug not connected, it will run really rough and i wouldnt do it.. but you could.. What i would do instead is use that extraction kit to get that plug out then try some PB blaster on the plug that wont move. I had the same issue, but i found that about 2 feet of extensions (or about 6 inches if you take the tire off) helped that problem. Also a good method if you have the extensions.

And for that #3 plug easiest way is to take the steering shaft off which is really easy, getting it back on can be another story tho.. but i would look through what Thog told you to look thorough.

brooklynRick 07-16-2012 08:24 AM

+1 for PB blaster, let it sit for a few hours. We use it on my buddies 40 year old atomic 4 sailboat engine all the time.

Oystein 07-16-2012 01:01 PM

Soaked in PB Blaster over night, for both plugs. Did not help. I got a lot of force on the stuck plug (rear passenger), but it did not move at all. The middle passenger one is lost until I get the extraction kit. Tried with a screwdriver, but that was useless.

Is heat (or pulling head) the only solutions left, then?

I won't even start on the driver's side until I've fixed these. I think I've made myself enough problems for now!

97cherryblazer 07-17-2012 02:11 AM

Wow.. they really shouldnt be THAT tight... which ever idiot did the plugs last didnt do them right. thats for sure.

I do have to ask the stupid question tho. You are turning it counterclockwise right?

Oystein 07-17-2012 03:29 AM

Counterclockwise, yes. Good to rule that out, of course.

I've also tried to tighten it a bit to try and break the seal (if there is one). I will also try to hammer on the socket a bit (read that trick online yesterday).

When I say a lot of force, that is with a 3/8" ratchet. I could use a 1/2" breaker bar, but that's what I did with the middle plug and we all know what happened then... I guess I could just go for it and extract the remains the same way as with the middle plug if it breaks. I'll wait and see how successful I am with the middle plug before attempting that.

Oystein 07-17-2012 01:07 PM

Some progress made!

The 3rd plug came out (that being the rear plug, passenger side - the stuck one with the tip broken off).

What I did was first use a 3/8" ratchet and extensions, putting as much force on it as I could in the little space I had to work with. I tried pulling in both directions, both counterclockwise and clockwise. I used a lot of static pressure, not just quick yanks. I also banged a bit with a hammer on the socket.

Nothing seemed to have changed, so I changed to 1/2" drive tools and a breaker bar. I was a bit careful since this was how the middle plug broke, but the plug came out whole (well, what was left of it). I noticed that I didn't have to use nearly as much force as I did with the middle one. I guess my previous wiggling, hammering and PB-Blasting really did help.

Anyway, I got a new plug in. I put some copper grease on to hopefully prevent this from happening again. I know some people prefer to put them in dry (because of the risk of them slipping loose), but having experienced plugs popping out in my parents' Opel Astra while driving before, I'd much rather deal with that in the future than what I'm going through now.

My extractor kit should be available for pick-up tomorrow afternoon, so if I'm lucky I'll get the middle plug sorted tomorrow. I'm leaving for a 10+ hour driving trip on Thursday, so hopefully I'll be able to take the Blazer. Otherwise I'll have to drive the previously mentioned Astra, and that's just not quite as enjoyable. Regardless, I will wait to do the driver's side plugs until I'm back.

Oystein 07-18-2012 04:07 PM

Success! The easy-out-like screw-extractor tool did the job very quickly. I think it took me less than 5 minutes from I started until the remains of the plug were out. Completely painless. The remains of the plug were in one piece, not chipped or damaged in any way, so it seems unlikely that anything has fallen into the combustion chamber.

The Blazer started up fine and ran well. I'm off for that driving trip tomorrow (in my own car, thank God!), and then I might start on the driver's side plugs.

warthogdriver 07-18-2012 05:46 PM

for the future put a little anti seize on the plugs...makes life easier down the road.
as a general rule i put anti seize on everything i touch..