Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

starter pinion gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default starter pinion gear

Okay, so I have heard this problem before when I had my 94, it did it occasionally but never was a problem the 2 years that I had it. so I'm wondering if I should even worry about it on the Jimmy.

Anyways. Went out to start it this morning to let it warm up. Turned the key and I heard the starter engage, but it did not crank the engine. So I turned the key off, and turned it back on and it started perfectly.
From my google search, I came to that it is the starter pinion gear.
Is this something that can be lubed? or is the starter on its way out?
like I said, my 94 did this every once in awhile (especially when cold) for 2 years.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road

Pull the starter and inspect it for damaged gear teeth and do the same thing for flywheel (manual trans.)/flexplate (automatic trans.). It's rare for gear teeth to be damaged, but it can happen.

Usually the stater overrun clutch is what goes out. The overrun clutch allows the starter to turn the engine over, until the engine starts and the clutch allows starter gear to spin faster without damaging the starter until you take pressure off of the key. Some older vehicles have starter rebuild kits if your up for the challenge, there are also repair shops that rebuild alternators and starters for older vehicles.

If the everything else is good the last thing that could be the issue is the starter not engaging correctly to the flywheel. Some older GM vehicles have shims between the starter and the engine that allow the starter gear to engage correctly to the flywheel. All it takes is a little time and the special measuring tool just for this job.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

But the starter seems fine, The reason I ask if there is something I can lube is because when I had my 94, it did this same thing, only when it was cold (below 30 degrees) and even after 2 years and 60k miles, it still started perfectly 97% of the time.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Yes you can lube the pinion drive, it just involves taking off the starter and taking it apart, not too hard of a job just remember what goes where. But if the engine didn't attempt to crank it could be the pull in winding not engaging.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah the engine didnt attempt to crank, all I heard was the starter spin up, then I turned off the key, turned it again and it fired right up. I guess I will see how long it goes for until I need to have it rebuilt LOL! After all, 2 years and 60k miles on the blazer.

Thanks for all the help, I will find this and update it if I ever fix the problem if it gets worse or just goes poot.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM
BF Veteran

Here is a video of what it is doing
I think the starter is going bye bye, might replace it today.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

sounds to me like its cranking fine, if the starter pinion wasn't engaging it would click really fast. Disable the fuel and ignition and do a voltage drop between the battery and starter and starter and ground.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran

I did the starter, it would crank fine, when it would actually crank the engine.
The new starter is working perfect. The other one was in bad shape. Looked to be original to the truck LOL

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Here's the problem part: Buy BWD Starter Drive SD1644 at Advance Auto Parts

When it fails, the starter motor operates, (free wheels) but the drive unit does not engage with the flywheel/flexplate.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-18-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran

Yup, interesting note, on the old starter, I was inspecting the gear teeth for damage just to make sure that was not the problem, and i was able to spin that VERY easily. Was not able to do that on the new one.

Was pretty easy doing the starter, Minus the small A$$ area to unhook the solenoid, and the nuts on them being so corroded (on the solenoid wire mounts)

Quick Reply: starter pinion gear