Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Starting problem with 2000 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 AM
rakerley is on a distinguished road
Default Starting problem with 2000 Blazer

I have a 2000 Blazer (trailblazer trim package). Recently, the vehicle has taken on a starting issue. The vehicle starts without any problem in the morning or after it has been sitting for a long time. However, the vehicle has issues starting if I try and start the vehicle after it has been sitting for a short while. When I go to start the vehilce, you can hear the vehicle trying to start but it appears the vehilce is not getting any fuel. I can turn over the key and hold the key for, what seems to be a long time, and the vehicle will start. What I normally do is press the gas pedal just a little bit, and the vehilce will start. I know I am not suppossed to give the engine any gas during ignition as this is a fuel injected vehicle, but it seems like this is the only way to get the vehicle started once it is in the midst of this starting issue. Anybody else have the same issue? I was told it could be the Mass Airflow Sensor, and I have tried (2) sensors from a junkyard, and both did not remedy the situation. Thanks, Rob.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would go through the usual tune up items (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor) if that hasn't been done to your knowledge. While you are at it, remove the EGR valve and throttle body and give both of them a good cleaning. A hung up IAC valve could cause the engine to be difficult to start when warm.

And there is nothing wrong with giving a fuel injected vehicle a little bit of throttle when starting. It just shouldn't need that extra air, but if that is the only way you can get it to start, do it.