Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Stumble @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Blaze GM4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stumble @ WOT

I have a 6.5 turbo diesel and for the past month my engine has been hesitating at WOT.I've been gettinga code 35 & 36 for the past year whichmeans injection pulse width too long/short. Usually those codes are an indication of a failing PMD/FSD pump mounted driver/fuel solinoid driver, but i've had no other associated symptoms -stalling, no starting when hot etc. this engine has close to 300,000km and has the original injection pump and injector nossles (factory replacement reccommended 100k)
The primary fault for PMD/FSD failure is heat, factory mounted on the injection pump (very hot) so the first time it failed i relocated it to the firewall and installed a heat sink.
Im thinking this is a fuel delivery problem which could be from a worn out injection pump and injector nossles. Does anyone have an alternate diagnosis?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Stumble @ WOT

Sorry, I don't know much about diesels, but I would think that if it starts ok then the fuel supply is good.
I'd be inclined to think maybe a fouled or worn injector nozzle.
As I said, I'm not really a diesel guy.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Blaze GM4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Stumble @ WOT

Yeah, this is what i figured ... if i had a 4.3 or 5.7 As for the injector nossle being worn out, that would explain lower mpg & poor performance but i don't think it would affect injection timing because the initial injection happens at the injection pump ( go figue) at the front of the engine and goes from there through the fuel tube to the injector nossle. I've spoken to www.sixfiveturbodiesel.com and this is a rare occurance even for these engines.
I'm thinking if the computer is sensing a long/short injection pulse with it would be coming from the injection source (injection pump) or the FSD (fuel solinoid driver) which drives the fuel pump, but that's been replaced already...
I envy you gassers, parts are cheap, lol an injection pump is $1g and marine injector nossles are $500 and FSD is $400, even if i replaced all of these it might not even fix the problem.
hmmm...