Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Thrown Rod??? Only 85k miles.... :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thrown Rod??? Only 85k miles.... :(

I think my blazer just threw a rod.... I accelerated hard onto the freeway and heard it start making a loud clanking noise that increases with rpm. It sounds like its coming from the front drivers side.... Its an '89 but only has 85k and its in PERFECT condition! I'm really pissed now, how much does a job like this usually cost?

Thanks guys

Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Asimm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Thrown Rod??? Only 85k miles.... :(

yeah man that sucks, it happened to me and im having to replace my engine..

that sucks im sorry

Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Never heard of throwing a rod and not needing a replacement engine..

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 PM

One question... can you always hear a rod at idle? When my olds threw a rod i could hear it when it was idleing, but my blazer gets REALLY loud when its reved a little, but is quiet at idle. My old man seems to think it may have sucked a valve instead. Are the two sounds similar?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta figure it out, whatever it is before you start that motor again! Running it even for short periods of time can cause many other things to go bad.

Anyway, that does suck. An '89 with only 85k miles... Man, I'd be more worried about a lot of things on a vehicle that old with that low of miles. When it comes to older vehicles, I'd rather buy one that had 150k miles on it than one with 85k. Often, more things can go wrong from lack of use than what can wear out from use. Atleast you know the common wear items...

I do wish you luck!

I would run a compression test and possibly pull the oil pan to assess the rods.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Okay, so my nieghbor who is a cert. mechanic at a chevy dealer just confirmed its a rod. What are my options now?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My first course of action would be to drop the pan (can be problematic if 4wd...) and see which rod it is. Once you have determined which rod it is, you can pull the cap and check the crank journal. If you didn't do too much damage to the crank, you may be able to polish it up and put a set of rod bearings into it and drive it 'til it breaks. If you scored the crank, you'll need to pull the engine and either rebuild it or replace it.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM

I'm so pissed... i love this truck but dont have the money to fix it... Im crying as i type this

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM

How much do you think a MINT (a true creampuff) 89' 4x4 with a blown motor would sell for?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

It would depend alot on how it looks like rust and such since someone is going to have to drop some $$$ into it.

Quick Reply: Thrown Rod??? Only 85k miles.... :(