Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Timing Chain and Compression Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Gimmper is on a distinguished road
Default Timing Chain and Compression Issue

Hello, I have a problem with a 2000 Blazer 4.3. I have replaced a broken timing chain and have no compression on 1,3,2,4,6 cylinder. Only cylinder to have compression is number 5. I have timed and retimed this to no end. Is there anything I missed or is internally wrong with the engine. PLEASE HELP. WIFE SAYS TO MANY F WORDS!!!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I would say you bent some valves but then again I couldnt imagine that happening on every cyclinder but 1.Is there any leaks antifreeze or oil around the side of the engine or coolant in the oil?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM

No coolant loss or in oil. Could the engine be out of time not to build compression? If it builds on Cylinder 5 then I would think it would or should build on the other cylinders also. But then again all my timing marks align I have checked double checked triple checke turned 180 degrees. Placed pencil in cyl 1 to make sure top dead center and all alaignment marks line up. I have had other family and friends check all my alignment marks also and it has totally baffled us all. Think it may be easier to Junk the blazer or try to find a good salvage yard motor.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Default Give it sometime

I never heard of the problem your having either and its got me baffled.Somebody here will know and get the answer for the problem your seeking.Question did you align the marks on your crank and timing gear correctly?

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 11-09-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Yes, Crank, Cam, Dist. Button, all line up. Cyl 1 is at top dead. Had valve cover off to make sure on compression stroke. the rockers move up and down on all cyl. ( i dont know for sure if that valve is fully seating). Very little compression comes out of the plug holes except for CYL 5. My wife was driving so I really dont know if the truck was running different up to the point the chain broke. Also a little side note the oil pressure was bad--warm engine 30 psi at best round 2k RPM little less then 10 psi at idle if guage was correct. No problems up to that point with vehicle. Think I am gonna sell it cheap (00 blazer ZR2 )

Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 AM

From your side note about the oil pressure sounds like engine was on its way out soon.I have another totaly rebuilt 4.3 long block that needs something to go into.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM

thought about that on a long block but really dont know if i wanta hassle with pulling and replacing going into winter. I can get a salvage motor round here for 400-500 bucks. that is a drop in and run (intake,alt,water pump, AC compressor everything. sad thing is majority i can not here run or they got 180000 miles on em. Transfer case, tranny electrcical all good on this vehicle. Think I am just gonna make someone a good deal on it.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

i got my used motor for $525 out of an 03 with only 49k on it... look around

Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Any conversion to do to for the 03? Did not think the computer/wire harness the same. didnt they have a different distributor also?? thanks for the reply and I am keeping my options open!!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Well if you change your mind about selling it I find some realy good deals on craigslist.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain and Compression Issue