Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Too good of gas mileage and worried (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/too-good-gas-mileage-worried-72355/)

tlandoe 07-17-2012 10:04 PM

Too good of gas mileage and worried

Ok guys, don't laugh...

I have a 2000 blazer ls 4x4. Has 154000 miles on it. Previous owner removed the cat and put in some pipe and removed the aft o2 sensor. Also has k&n filter, as far as I know, those are the only mods.

Here's my problem: I drive it every day, mostly city, nothing much over 35. It's summer and 100 degrees, so naturally I run the AC. Every time I fill it up, I consistently get about 22 miles per gallon. If I do a lot of highway, I get like 26. WITH AC ON, not exactly driving like a grandma, but not stomping on it either. Just regular driving.

I've owned two blazers in the past, I had a 94 Jimmy and and a 96 zr2 and in either one, I was lucky to average anything over 17 with mostly highway. As far as I noticed, my driving habits haven't changed.

I know I'm calculating this correctly, and as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with my gas tank or filler neck. Not running lean, has plenty of power and it doesn't get over 210 degrees.

What could be the problem here? Is there anything that can go wrong that can so drastically improve fuel economy? Like what the hell? 22mpg city does not happen in these vehicles!

vortec bowtie 07-17-2012 10:06 PM

If its not running lean then dont worry just be happy lol. That is weird though

247monster 07-17-2012 10:12 PM

lol that is kinda weird lol ...haha

Rottidog 07-17-2012 10:28 PM

Yeah I'd check the plugs & see if they're chalky white = running lean.
If they're not... umm do you want a 2002 non egr valve engine in trade?!

tlandoe 07-17-2012 11:00 PM

haha I changed the plugs already. Autolite platinums. It's weird though

jwalker1992 07-17-2012 11:18 PM

sounds nice lol im getting about 16 in my 97 blazer 4x4 i heard something about a change that chevy did im not sure what year but i know its after 97 they kicked the egr valve out and a few other things also with the intake and exause upgrade and who knows what little things the old owner could have done but if things are running fine i wouldnt change a thing even so go down to autozone or napa... wherever you like and get a free diagnostic test maybe that would ease your mind a bit..

THePaRaSiTE5771 07-17-2012 11:23 PM

Why are you complaining about good gas mileage? Seems stupid to create a topic about it.

tlandoe 07-17-2012 11:30 PM

Gee parasite, maybe it's because that's not something that's supposed to happen and I'm looking for insight from my peers on whether or not there could be a potential problem here.

Coming from someone with your screen name, though I guess I shouldn't expect much in the way of useful feedback.

jwalker1992 07-18-2012 12:12 AM

ok as all of our 3rd grade teachers say there are no stupid questions its nice to hear some good things happening to fellow blazer owners im new here and i can clearly see everyone is just trying to get a little help/learn something...

goodluck with your 22mpg city hope it keeps it up let us know if youy find anything else that could have been done i would love to get mpgs like that haha..

xgiovannix12 07-18-2012 09:15 AM

give me your truck and go buy a new 1 .......