Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Top/Bottom End Alignment (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/top-bottom-end-alignment-100401/)

Mods 10-11-2019 11:57 PM

Top/Bottom End Alignment

Any easy way to get the timing reset on the Top end/Valves without taking the Valve cover off on a 4.3L Vortec? or am i doomed to remove it anyways and buy new gaskets (for both covers just for the sake of preventive maintenance)

And has anyone else had constant fuelpump failures on a 1999 S10 with the 4.3L Vortec?

LesMyer 10-12-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mods (Post 714326)
Any easy way to get the timing reset on the Top end/Valves without taking the Valve cover off on a 4.3L Vortec? or am i doomed to remove it anyways and buy new gaskets (for both covers just for the sake of preventive maintenance

I really don't understand your question. There is no valve lash adjustment on a 99 S10 4.3 V-6, if that is what you are asking about. You will need to explain what you are asking about a lot better. You are not making any sense.

Mods 10-12-2019 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer (Post 714336)
I really don't understand your question. There is no valve lash adjustment on a 99 S10 4.3 V-6, if that is what you are asking about. You will need to explain what you are asking about a lot better. You are not making any sense.

Not quite, Last person who worked on this motor threw the timing all out of whack (rotated the crankshaft around independent of the cam without actually knowing what they were doing) threw the chain on and called it done, it does not run anywhere near correctly. Does the 4.3 not have a Camshaft or something? i've not worked on this type of motor specifically, but it cant be that far removed from normal.

odat 10-12-2019 10:08 PM

It is a normal engine - now that its a little better explained if the timing chain marks were misslined then engine buttoned up.
It isn't as simple as removing valve covers you get the joys of stripping down the front of the engine to the timing chain and starting over.
Fan shroud, maybe radiator for clearance, belts, fan, water pump, vibration damp, timing cover, prob alternator, power steering pump ect .....

LesMyer 10-12-2019 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mods (Post 714363)
Not quite, Last person who worked on this motor threw the timing all out of whack (rotated the crankshaft around independent of the cam without actually knowing what they were doing) threw the chain on and called it done, it does not run anywhere near correctly. Does the 4.3 not have a Camshaft or something? i've not worked on this type of motor specifically, but it cant be that far removed from normal.

There are no timing marks or valve timing adjustments accessible by removing valve covers as you described. This engine does not have a camshaft located in each of the heads as is popular with some modern engines, especially imports. It has a single timing chain with a camshaft in the center of the engine and pushrods/rockers to operate the valves. Just check the cranking compression. If the timing chain is not on the correct mark, the compression will be low on all cylinders. If it's around 125# or higher, you can assume the camshaft is timed correctly.

Mods 10-12-2019 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 714366)
It is a normal engine - now that its a little better explained if the timing chain marks were misslined then engine buttoned up.
It isn't as simple as removing valve covers you get the joys of stripping down the front of the engine to the timing chain and starting over.
Fan shroud, maybe radiator for clearance, belts, fan, water pump, vibration damp, timing cover, prob alternator, power steering pump ect .....

Ah, all of that save for the Alternator, Steering Pump, etc, have all been removed a long time ago, its been sitting the garage for several years like that now. And im going to assume i need to remove the valvecover if the pump and alternator are coming out (what with being right over the top of it). And just to be sure i dont botch it - Exhaust valve full open with #1 At Top Dead Center?

odat 10-12-2019 11:14 PM

You could remove valve covers just for peace of mind - as les stated above its a single cam engine so every thing as far as crank/cam alignment is all done under the timing cover on the front of the engine - you might remove spark plugs also to ease in turning cam and crank for alignment - don't get carried away rotating such and bend a valve - if it was made to try and run hopefully it didn't slap a valve or two into a piston and bend them .....

Mods 10-12-2019 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 714370)
You could remove valve covers just for peace of mind - as les stated above its a single cam engine so every thing as far as crank/cam alignment is all done under the timing cover on the front of the engine - you might remove spark plugs also to ease in turning cam and crank for alignment - don't get carried away rotating such and bend a valve - if it was made to try and run hopefully it didn't slap a valve or two into a piston and bend them .....

So as long as the marks are aligned while the #1 is at TDC it will all be set?

odat 10-12-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mods (Post 714371)
So as long as the marks are aligned while the #1 is at TDC it will all be set?

Do a internet search for the year of the motor and how the marks align and set them as shown
{ lets say 1999 Chevy 4.3 timing marks and it should bring up several hits }
The dist maybe off some too and need to be reset as it would have been set up with things off

Mods 10-13-2019 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 714372)
Do a internet search for the year of the motor and how the marks align and set them as shown
{ lets say 1999 Chevy 4.3 timing marks and it should bring up several hits }
The dist maybe off some too and need to be reset as it would have been set up with things off

Alright, thanks.