Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Sensor/Shift Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member
lostrealist is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Sensor/Shift Solenoid?

I have a 1996 S-10 Chevy Blazer, ZR2 Off-road 4x4. Engine is a 4.3L and I have no clue about the tranny.

Anyways... First off, I bought it with some minor issues. I have a miss in the engine somewhere no mechanic has been able to find. It just keeps coming up when I have my codes ran. But I can't feel it when I drive it and the engine runs really smooth.

The major issue I have right is with my transmission and have since last May. But it doesn't do it all the time and everytime I take it somewhere to get looked at, the problem doesn't come up!

This May, the issue all-together stopped until yesterday. But like I said, it's not doing it all the time so it's really frustrating.

So... The issue is, it'll shift through first and second, then get "stuck" and won't shift back down. So if I stop at a stop sign, I have to manually shift in it first, feel it shift, then I'm okay again. But it just goes in first and second, won't go any higher. If I take it on the Interstate, my RPM's run high around the 3 to 3 1/2 mark but it doesn't overheat or complain. Just runs high.

I had the codes ran at Advance last night and all it could say was "Manufacturer Transmission". And all the guy could tell me was to take it to a dealer. I checked the fluids and it was a little low, so I added a quart. When I got off work, I went and had an oil change, the fuel system flushed, and a new air filter put on. It ran like a champ coming home. No problems.

It also ran fine today until I decided to run out to the store. On the way to the store, it did the problem again. Went in for 10 minutes, came back out, ran fine on the way home. So I don't get it....

I'm thinking this is a sensor/shift solenoid issues. I'm planning on taking it either tomorrow or sometime soon to get looked at by a transmission shop. The thing is, has anyone else had this issue? If so, what am I looking at getting replaced and the cost? I really REALLY don't want to sell this car over something that only happens some of the time and I was thinking maybe it would be an easy fix?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This could indicate that there is a problem with the front sprag inside the transmission.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

Front Sprag? Any chance I get you to explain this a little more or send me to a link so i can gain some more knowledge? I'm not good with cars and technical stuff at all. =(

Is it repairable or is this like a death sentence?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The front or forward sprag is a mechanical component inside the transmission. Your transmission is the 4L60E.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Beginning Member

Well hopefully it's fixable. My Dad is the one who gave me the sensor idea which rather made sense to me since it doesn't do it all the time. That's whats really got me puzzled.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member

Just talked to a shop around here and I have an appointment for Monday. The Tech said it sounded like an electrical issue. Ugh! So many possibilities.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

you can test all the shift solenoids and TCC sonoid with a 12 volt power soirce and a rubber tip blow gun. this way your not replaceing parts out of thin air and waisting money....however, do not test the EPC solenoid or the PWM solenoid though....putting 12 volts to those 2 will damage them....

Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Beginning Member

Sadly I don't have access to stuff like that. My forte is animals, not cars. I'll leave the mechanical stuff to the experts. =P

Old 11-06-2010, 11:49 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

oh ok, i was just trying to help.... 12 volt source that you would use is the battery under your hood. and the blow gun is just from a regular air compressor....

Old 11-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks though. I really appreciate it.

If I was at my parent's, I'd have access to those tools. I'm a college student in an apartment sadly and don't have the means to borrow that kind of stuff. =P

Quick Reply: Transmission Sensor/Shift Solenoid?