Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans flipp'n out

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trans flippn out

Your tranny performance is based on engine performance. Sounds to me like your engine was acting up and your puter adjusted the tranny accordingly. Glad everything is back to normal.

For **** and giggles check your distributor cap/rotor, and spark plugs. Those are the most common reasons for a P0306. Missfire in number 6 piston.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Starting Member
gmbwrenchn is an unknown quantity at this point

Cap, plugs, rotor, and wires do need replacing....will wait for warmer weather to tackle that.

But.........I do want to run something by you guys that I was thinking about which MAY have something to do with this acting up. About a week before I had this problem, I had disconnected the ABS in both front wheels. {I hate ABS in winter} first time I have done this. The car ran fine with it disconnected, for about a week, then that's when these problems started. I decided to reconnect the ABS system, thinking that I was going to have to take it in to get it looked at, so I didn't want the ABS light on. Well that day, I reconnected it, the car,while on the freeway, later that day, seem to go back to normal operation. Did this have something to do with screwing upthe PCM?????Thanks.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Starting Member

Post?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the ABS is one of the sensors the puter uses to adjust engine/tranny performance. It compares tire speed (ABS) to driveshaft speed (VSS).

Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Starting Member

Thanks.......ther you have it. One more thing. Since I reconnected the ABS, it seems to make an "ABS" sound, slight pulsating,every time I almost come to a complete stop, on dry pavement. What the heck is that? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The low speed ABS activation is a sensor issue. The most common cause is dirt buildup on the reluctor ring (square toothed gear inside the wheel bearing assembly). The second most common reason for this behavior is rust buildup on the mounting pad for the sensor at the wheel bearing assembly body. To fix either, you have to remove the WSS at each front wheel. Use compressed air to clean the reluctor ring and use a flat file or some emry cloth to file down the pad that the sensor mounts to. You may have to check the output of the sensor at times while you file down the mounting pad by installing the sensor and wheel, then spinning the wheel. When you place a digital volt meter across the pins on the sensor connector and spin the wheel, the AC voltage should be between 200mV-AC and 350mV-AC. GM actually released a TSB that details the cause of a low speed (<5MPH) ABS activation as being caused by an excessive air gap (what is being adjusted when you file down the mounting pad).

Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Starting Member

Thanks again I'll look into that stuff. What's the WSS?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

WSS == Wheel Speed Sensor...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Starting Member

I'm going to tackle this project tomorrow. In regards to the Ac voltage output of 200mV ~350mV. What if it's not within this range. Can I adjust something or do I need to get new sensors. Thanks. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator

You have to file down the surface which the sensor bolts to. The flat surface that is perpendicular to the hole. This will reduce the gap between the teeth on the reluctor ring and the tip of the sensor. Go slow with small increments until each sensor reads in the range.

Quick Reply: Trans flipp'n out