Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny Blew!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Blazin NC is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Tranny Blew!

I was driving down the road yesterday and I heard a high pitch bang. The next thing I knew, I lost 2nd gear, overdrive, and reverse!!! I was told by the closest Aamco I could find, that I need a complete rebuild for $2200..... So I drove it home instead to weigh my options. Any advice??

Thanks

Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Ouch...that sucks man! Such a nice truck too. I don't have any experience in trannys so I can't lend much help. What about picking one up off a junked or clunked blazer? Not an easy task by any means, but it might be cheaper.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

2200 is alittle high if you ask me. I pulled my own tranny and had it built for under 600 a few years ago. Scour the junk yards for one . Thats prolly your cheapest route

Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 PM

I am leaning towards the junk yard route.... gotta try to find a low mileage one though. I now have another vehicle to drive daily, so I can take my time to try to do this right, and cheap.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most shops do not like to do it, but they could just replace the broken reaction sun shell (that's what broke BTW). A coworker of mine did that with his 2001 Bravada. IIRC, it cost him just shy of $300.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM

Kyle, I couldnt remember the part, but thats it... I asked about just replacing it, but they wouldn't do it. They said that part is a common failure in the 4L60E, and when they rebuild they put in a heavier duty shell...but like you said, they won't do just that.

Last edited by Blazin NC; 12-02-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I believe if you swap ONE for ONE at the JY they can cut you a better deal too. Like buy the new one for $X and take a $y discount since you give them yours inplace of it. like a core charge almost... i know a jy chain out here does that... even if it's only a couple $$$ better than nothing.

Also once you get the transplant, before instal, may want to have it serviced, new seals and o-rings and such are a must anyway. hell you could probably have a shift kit dropping in the transplant and still be WAY under the $2200 quoted.

still sucks though. hope you get her rolling again soon!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Shop around a bit to see if you can get the sunshell replaced. Most of the time it is the mom & pop repair shops will do it. And since they really are not getting into a lot of changes inside, the likelihood of them messing something up is somewhat diminished.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

If you want to replace the tranny, I would go for new, my dad bought a rebuild once and it went up in three years, also happened to my uncle twice. Three years, every time! I'll never buy a used or rebuild.

Regards,

Thomas