Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission won’t shift past 2nd!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Isn't there a simple and easy upgrade for our trannies as well that he might as well do if he's rebuilding it?

Old 03-05-2019, 01:47 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I’ve heard something about corvette solenoids...

Old 03-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

I am sharing my preferences for parts for a 4L60E that I use and continue to use in my overhauls. Every builder has his own recipe for parts that give them the desired results. I don’t do patch jobs or very basic overhauls by putting in new clutches and band and call it good.

The brands I list are what I have good success with and not saying you must use brand A and not brand B . This is what I use your results may differ.

First is a good converter. I have a local converter shop that I use exclusively. Top Line Converter in Pittsburgh PA. 412-464-9985.

In the past have used with success converters from.

Precision of New Hampton.

Florida torque converter.

Bushing kit

Corvette servo

Borg Warner High Energy band

Transtec overhaul kit

Borg Warner frictions with the High Energy 3-4 frictions

Transgo “SK4L60E” shift kit

Transgo aluminum accumulator pistons in forward accumulator and 1-2 accumulator.

Delco separator plate

Sonnax 3-4 return springs

Filtran filter

Molded piston kit

Borg Warner Input sprag

Borg Warner Low/rev sprag

Borg Warner EPC solenoid

Delco shift solenoids

Sonnax boost valve

Delco reaction shell

This is the standard list for every 4L60E. There will be other parts that need replaced that you will find upon tear down. A lot has to do with application and what the transmission is required to do as to what areas need to be addressed . Steels and pressure plates need to be checked and replaced as needed. The pump and valve body have common bores that wear and need reamed and sleeved. Not for the DIY builder as the equipment and tooling is quite expensive to perform these repairs. The shift kit addresses the main wear area with re designed valving . Another area is the rotor,vanes,slide and pivot pin that wear. Planetary pinion bearings and shims will wear. Planets can be rebuilt and the captured Torrington bearing replaced. But again specialized tooling required to press apart.

Please ask any questions or mention any parts that weren’t listed.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:16 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jeffvader

mines going the same thing. I’m prepared to spend maybe $500 for a used one. But I would hate for it to go out in 6 months. But I’ll do what I gotta do.
I hear ya! Junk yard parts are a "roll of the dice" as they say lol... I remember looking at the calendar and thinking, "day 31 is gonna bite me in the butt"

Old 03-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Jeffvader is on a distinguished road

Well it looks like I don’t have to rebuild it. A friend from work has a 98 Blazer and says I can have the transmission. And any other part I need. He says just give him my old broken parts. There’s not many people like that in the world. I’m gonna have to make him a custom knife!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jeffvader
Well it looks like I don’t have to rebuild it. A friend from work has a 98 Blazer and says I can have the transmission. And any other part I need. He says just give him my old broken parts. There’s not many people like that in the world. I’m gonna have to make him a custom knife!
Hats off to your friend!!! When I read or see good gestures from people it keeps my faith in humanity that there are still good people out there