Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Truck is whining but not starting (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/truck-whining-but-not-starting-62391/)

mechelle207@yahoo.com 08-22-2011 05:36 PM

Truck is whining but not starting

I've tried searching this to no avail. I have been having issues with my 99 Blazer lately where it is either starting really hard to not starting at all. Now it is at the point where is it not starting at all and is making a whining sound. This happened after my son went to start it and it stalled out then he tried again and kept the key pushed back a few seconds longer than needed and since then all the issues have started. It sounds like when you try to start a vehicle and it's already running, that's the whining sound I am referring to. Anyone have any clue as to what this could be? I'm hoping it's a simple fix like alternator or starter so I can get back on the road as I have people depending on me to get back and forth to work as well as myself needing to get to work. Thank you for any helpful inof on this.

Blazer whining sound - YouTube This is what the sound is that I am referring to. Hope this helps

UPDATE
I finally heard back from the mechanic today and he called with BAD news telling me that he tried another starter and that did not resolve the issue, in fact that starter got torn apart as well. He said that the motor is junk. WHat I do not understand about it though is that all he said was that it had to do with the starter either not engaging/disengaging. Why is it not possible to replace the flywheel/gear is what I am wondering? Can someone help me out here and possibly explain what could be the issue here? I guess it's just divine intervention telling me it's time for a new vehicle and it just so happens that someone has the exact vehicle I want so I guess that it my sign that it's time to move on from the blazer and onto a Jeep hopefully. Anyways just wanted to give another update to what is going on. TY for all the responses that I got.

xgiovannix12 08-22-2011 05:54 PM

any codes ?

pettyfog 08-22-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mechelle207@yahoo.com (Post 455122)
I've tried searching this to no avail. I have been having issues with my 99 Blazer lately where it is either starting really hard to not starting at all. Now it is at the point where is it not starting at all and is making a whining sound. This happened after my son went to start it and it stalled out then he tried again and kept the key pushed back a few seconds longer than needed and since then all the issues have started. It sounds like when you try to start a vehicle and it's already running, that's the whining sound I am referring to. Anyone have any clue as to what this could be? I'm hoping it's a simple fix like alternator or starter so I can get back on the road as I have people depending on me to get back and forth to work as well as myself needing to get to work. Thank you for any helpful inof on this.

Judging from the highlighted part, you have starter problems, YOU HOPE!

Otherwise, teeth stripped from ring gear... and that's expensive to fix.

Hightec1 08-22-2011 07:12 PM

If you have the starter replaced make sure they turn the engine over by
hand and check the flex plate teeth real good for chips or missing teeth.

With the key off you can try to turn over engine by hand with the serpentine
belt a few inches and then try starting it.If it cranks and doesn't grind
you might have some missing teeth :(

If it still grinds,you might luck out with a broken starter drive or
broken nose cone.

All the blazer starters i've replaced always have some sort of wear on
the teeth.Some real bad,but some customers can't afford new flex plate
and take the gamble and just replace starter.Some make a lot of noise
when cranking,but they just hope it last another,month,year or five.

mechelle207@yahoo.com 08-23-2011 10:12 AM

Update

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12 (Post 455126)
any codes ?

no codes to do with the starter at the time it was checked. have not been able to have it hooked up since as it does not move and I con't have the computer for it to be checked.

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 455127)
Judging from the highlighted part, you have starter problems, YOU HOPE!

Otherwise, teeth stripped from ring gear... and that's expensive to fix.

Maybe this could be why it was starting hard? How expensive are we talking? And could it be that the starter is fine but the ring gear needs replacing?

Originally Posted by Hightec1 (Post 455147)
If you have the starter replaced make sure they turn the engine over by
hand and check the flex plate teeth real good for chips or missing teeth.

With the key off you can try to turn over engine by hand with the serpentine
belt a few inches and then try starting it.If it cranks and doesn't grind
you might have some missing teeth :(

If it still grinds,you might luck out with a broken starter drive or
broken nose cone.

All the blazer starters i've replaced always have some sort of wear on
the teeth.Some real bad,but some customers can't afford new flex plate
and take the gamble and just replace starter.Some make a lot of noise
when cranking,but they just hope it last another,month,year or five.

\
was going to have a friend from work do it but from the sounds of it I am better off having a mechanic do it.

pettyfog 08-23-2011 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mechelle207@yahoo.com (Post 455269)
no codes to do with the starter at the time it was checked. have not been able to have it hooked up since as it does not move and I con't have the computer for it to be checked.

Maybe this could be why it was starting hard? How expensive are we talking? And could it be that the starter is fine but the ring gear needs replacing?

\
was going to have a friend from work do it but from the sounds of it I am better off having a mechanic do it.

No, Replace starter anyway.. chances of replacing ring gear -involves pulling transmission - without replacing starter too are next to ZERO. Starter gear teeth are certainly damaged anyway. Have your friend look for missing/ damaged teeth while he has starter out. Near edge wear is normal if it's uniform over all visible teeth
If there are missing teeth, put starter on anyway, THEN turn engine -CCW- to start it and take to shop, ASAP

No sense in paying the premium for shop replacement of starter if you dont have to.

Adn teach your kid how to tell when the engine is started! Maybe if he watches under the hood while you start it, he'll get the connection.

mechelle207@yahoo.com 08-23-2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 455276)
No, Replace starter anyway.. chances of replacing ring gear -involves pulling transmission - without replacing starter too are next to ZERO. Starter gear teeth are certainly damaged anyway. Have your friend look for missing/ damaged teeth while he has starter out. Near edge wear is normal if it's uniform over all visible teeth
If there are missing teeth, put starter on anyway, THEN turn engine -CCW- to start it and take to shop, ASAP

No sense in paying the premium for shop replacement of starter if you dont have to.

Adn teach your kid how to tell when the engine is started! Maybe if he watches under the hood while you start it, he'll get the connection.

Unfortunately me doing this on my own will likely lead to more issues and possibly injuring myself. On a side note though I took a video of the sound so that hopefully it will help in trying to figure out what the issue is. I appreciate any and all advice and am trying to find someone who can help me so that I don't have to bring it to a mechanic who is going to charge me an arm and a leg. Here is the link to the video I took of the sound:
This is the sound I am referring to.

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 455276)

It's not like he meant to do it. I've been having issues with it lately with it starting hard so it's kind of my own fault as I told him to keep the key pushed back a second longer than normal as this is how I usually have to start it. I'm just glad it happened while I was home and not stranded somewhere late at night and I'm pretty sure if it didn't happen with him it would have happened with me. I don't know, maybe he did break it and it has nothing to do with all the other issues I've been having :icon_couchhide:.
I guess no one knows unless they are there when it happens and are able to diagnose it first hand. I know there is no one here that can specifically diagnose something without being there in person to do so. I do appreciate the help everyone is passing along though, I hope I am not coming across as a smart ass or ungrateful.

pettyfog 08-23-2011 11:34 AM

I was referring to your note you thought a friend could do it. If you can find someone to do it will save you money.

And I'm not trying to be bitchy about your kid.. that stuff happens, and I'm the last can say I never trashed anything. Or that my kids didnt.

From the sound, it may be only your starter. Certainly no teeth even trying to engage. Would have been a grinding noise to go along with it before this point.

mechelle207@yahoo.com 08-23-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 455282)
I was referring to your note you thought a friend could do it. If you can find someone to do it will save you money.

And I'm not trying to be bitchy about your kid.. that stuff happens, and I'm the last can say I never trashed anything. Or that my kids didnt.

From the sound, it may be only your starter. Certainly no teeth even trying to engage. Would have been a grinding noise to go along with it before this point.

I know you're not trying to be bitchy, as neither am I. One of the reasons I hate being behind a screen as things can be taken out of context. I am still trying to find someone who can help me out so I don't have to bring it to a garage as I know I will pay twice as much then. Hopefully something pans out so I can get this resolved and not have to rely on others for rides. As I recall, before this point there has been no grinding only starting hard like having to try more than once. Ty for the info.

Hightec1 08-24-2011 05:20 PM

That was cool :)
I wish some of my customers would make a video to show me there problems when there vehicle won't start.

Your sounds like your solenoid is gone on the starter.
From the sound in the video your starter is just spinning and the solenoid is not pushing your starter drive out.

Definitely have starter replaced.

Example of prices in the Boston area;
Price varies on starter,From about $125.00 up to $175.00(cost)
Labor is about 1.9 hours.
My shop rate is $80.00 an hour and would be $152.00 labor plus starter.

Some garages will not let you bring in your own part and might charge you list price.
A starter from the dealers in Boston,MA. area list out at $450.00.
If you don't have a regular mechanic you go to,you can try calling a couple
of garages to see what they would charge.

If they use an aftermarket starter it might be $100.00 more than cost.