Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

tuneups ain't cheap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: tuneups ain't cheap!!!

I took my '91 Blazer to a local shop for a tune up because I saw their signthatindicated they only usedAC Delco replacement parts.After receiving a computer itemized bill, and after I compared prices, it was obvious that theshopadded from 10% to 20% to the AC Delco MSRPof theparts. Apparentlythe shopdid not care or did not know thatI would compare the pricesof the parts at the local Autozone after I paid for the tune up. I didnot expect the shopto give me the same price for the parts I could get at a local discount auto supply but I certainly didnot expect the shopto add 10% to 20% to the MSRP.

My associate built a new building and opened up "Tom'sDiscount Auto Supply" many years ago and I worked there on weekends when I could. A few months aftrer he opened,he contaced an AC Delco represenative to asked himif AC Delco couldstock his store on a consignment basis.The AC Delco represenative agreed and said they would fully stock his store with parts and put up a new lighted AC Delco sign in front of theauto supply. The only requirement was that he must sell all AC Delco parts at the MSRP with no discounts.He told them he could not compete with other auto parts stores if he did that and he would go broke. The AC Delco represenative withdrew his offer andwould not agree to stock his store.

I suspect that is one reason the shop added a 10% to 20%profit mark upto the AC Delco parts they installed on my Blazer.I will do the workmyself next time because you cannot beat the pay.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how much of a factor that is anymore with the immediate comparisons that can be done by the educated buyer. AC Delco retailers no longer sell parts at the MSRP because they realize that they are not competative. I know this because I buy all of my parts from a retailer and these prices are VERY competative when compared with the local chain stores.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Largediscount auto parts chain stores such as Autozonedo not sell a full line ofAC Delco parts for some reason.I was really surprised to see that Autozone sold anyAC Delco parts at all. However, they only sell what AC Delco allows them to sell which is probably the more popular parts that sellquick. Many times I have asked Autozoneif they could getcertain AC Delco parts and the manager said if they were not in his computer, Autozonecouldnot get them. Some of theindependerntly owned parts stores sell AC Delco parts but you must be prepared to pay MSRP for them.I would venture to guess that sinceAC Delco moved their replacement parts manufacturing to Mexico about 20 years ago, they are allowing their partsto be sold in the discount chain parts stores.

A goodexample is the positive (GM #12157407) and negative(GM #88860070) AC Delco battery cables for a '91 Blazer 4dr SUV with 4x4.Those are not available anywhere except from a GM warehouse.The pair I purchased from alocal Chevrolet dealership came from a GM warehouse 300 miles away.However, I am glad to say that they were delivered to the local dealership the next day and still I got my usual 20% discount from list price! For instance: AC Delco 4Sx38-2F pos. battery cable. List Price: $52.42.... Net Price: $41.94

I must admit that any new replacement battery cables may work just fine. However, ifit does not say AC Delco on it I don't want it on my S10 Blazer SUV, I don't care how much "better" it is.Manyso-called "professional" ASE mechanics always say their off-brand products that they sellare "better"than AC Delco.

I understand most of the GM and AC Delco service replacementparts are made in Mexico now. The AC Delco Freedombatteries are made in Mexico by a Mexican company that was purchased by GM. According to some reports I have read, thosebatteries been having electrolite leakage problems from the side terminals.I will just have to keep a criticaleye on mine and replace it under a warranty before the electrolitedoes any damage.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Come on Tim, it's only a 5 banger in the Canyon and Colorado. The Trailblazer is the I6! LOL
Welcome back. You would be correct, and than ks for catching that. [8D]

Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Welcome back. You would be correct, and than ks for catching that. [8D]
LOL! You guys probably liked it better when I was gone!!