Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

V8 in s10 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
aceman2049 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: V8 in s10 blazer

Thanks for the help. I appricaite it

Old 05-03-2008, 08:56 PM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point

so putting the 305 in the blazer wouldnt be a bolt in job?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your definition of a bolt up job and if you have the money to buy the kit components that are available.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 AM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point

my idea of a bolt in job is the 305 has the same bolt holes and fits right in the mounts ..but mi didnt think it would be that way

Old 05-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out Advance Adapters , that's where I got all the parts to put the V8 in my 1st Gen Blazer :

https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/co...s10-26-s15.htm

Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I purschased a GM Factory rebuilt 4.3L from a local chevy dealer. So far I have put 70K on it and it runs great. The engine is warrented at any GM dealer no matter who installs it! The GM factory rebuilt is rebuilt to GM specs and any item not meeting spec. is replaced of refurbished to GM spec. The GM rebuilt comes complete with all internals and heads. It does not include the oil pan, valve covers, Intake manifold/TBI, and engine accessories. These you need to transfer to the new engine. By doing the engine swap myself I was able to replace more partssuch as new NAPA radiator, AC Delco Fan Clutch, New Plugs and wires, Distributer Cap and Rotor.I followed the installation instruction sheet that came with the engine and had very few problems doing it completely by myself with no assistance at all. I looked at local Auto Parts stores and their warrenties. Most engine warrenties require that the engine be returned to the builder at the owners expense for any claims. When I new that I was going to replace the engine I called every GM dealership within a 25 mile radius. The prices from each dealer varried greatly, from around $1900 - $4000, some quotes were for a A/C delco engine which has a lesser waranty that the GM Goodwrench Engine. In fact I was so satisfied with the GM Goodwrench engine that last year when my transmission gave out I replaced it with a GM Goodwrench Transmission. The local dealer delivered the trans to a trans shop, and picked up the core at no charge to me. The trans shop was a lot cheaper on the labor to remove and instsall then the local Chevy dealer. If you are interested in doing the change yourself, you can email me and I will let you know where I had problems and how I overcame them.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

In the area where I live (Dallas, Texas) , you cannot find anygarage or transmission shop that will install parts provided by the customer and they don't have the time or sources to locate the parts required for suach a conversion.About90% of the shops and automobile repair garages in this are will not do any job if involves more that oil changes and tune ups.The mecanics are notknowlegable ebnoughto perform custom work. If they could do such work, the shop would have to charge by the hour which runs from $80 to $100 per hour. Can you imagine how much that would cost in just labor alone! I considered that when I was thinking about installing a V8 in my 1991 S10 Blazer SUV. I decided to purchase anew (not rebuilt)Mr. Goodwrench 4.3L V6 crate engine, a long block whichincludes newcykinder heads. Now that would be considered a"bolt in" job.

An independent garage makesabout 40% to 50% profit off the partsand a similar percentage off thelabor. If you buy the engine from Mr. Goodwrench and askan independent garage to install it, the shopthat does the installationdoes notmake a dime on the Mr. Goodwrench engine andless tha 30% profit offthe labor. If auto repair shops did that very often, they would go broke.

Any engine except a 4.3L V6 in a S10 Blazer SUV is not considered a "bolt in" job. You will have to make variousmodifications.Some of the changesI can think of would bespecial exhaust headers, motor mounts, exhaust system,electrical and ignition system,and I am sure there are manyobscure modifications that I am not aware of. In some countiesin some states,after a engine conversion, there is a problem meeting annual stateemissions standardsunless the vehicle is unlicensed and for off-road use only. In the larger metropolitan areas of Texas, a 1994-up Blazer SUV with a V8 Chevrolet enginewouldnot likely pass the more strengent annual state emissions inspection.A 1982-1993 GM vehicles are maypassannual state emissions inspection because therequirements are not asstrict.

California...forget it.