Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Weird Transmission Problem Thinking Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Starting Member
paulrugg is on a distinguished road
Default Weird Transmission Problem Thinking Linkage

Hi all.

I have a 1999 Blazer that is having some weird shifting problems.

the problem started in the winter time. I think it may have something to do with 4 wheel drive. Everything was fine until we had a good snow storm. I put the blazer into 4 wheel drive and drove it home from work and left it parked in 4 wheel drive (not sure if that was bad idea or not). I did not drive it again for a day or so and the snow was cleared off the road so when I started driving I took it out of 4 wheel drive and drove as normal.

About 2 or 3 days later (after driving daily) the Blazer stopped going into 3rd gear. It would go into reverse fine and when starting off would shift into 1st and 2nd gears fine but once it tried to shift into 3rd it would not shift and the rpms would jump up. I drove it the rest of the way to work like that doing about 20mph 2500rpm for about 2 miles and drove it home about 5 miles.

The next day I thought I would try it out and see if had the same problem since the day it did have problems it was 5 degrees with windchill of about -10. I drove fine around the block so I drove it to work. Well, it did the same thing about half way there (about 2 miles) except this time it wouldn't stay in 2nd gear. I had to turn the engine OFF and restart it to get it to engage 1st gear. Once driving, slowly, when it was about to go into 2nd gear you had to make sure the rpms were not over 2500 or it would not go into 2nd and I would have to stop the blazer and turn the engine off and restart it to get the engine to engage 1st gear again. So I drove the rest of the way to work in 1st gear at about 2200rpm.

When I got out of work the same thing was going on so I drove it home in low rpm2000 in first gear (like a turtle ;-))

I checked the transmission fluid and it was a little low, but not too low. I fiddled around with it a little and could not find anything that looked off.

I am not sure if it is a transmission problem since it goes into gears 1 and 2 and reverse.

I just got it out of the garage a couple weeks ago and right off the bat it was going into gears but then went back to the 1st/2nd gear thing again. I read it might be the 4 wheel drive linkage, but I am not sure how to tell if i's bad or fix.

Can anybody give me any pointers or suggestions. Have a good Memorial day for all the Veterans.

Thanks, Paul.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Beginning Member
Grillzy is on a distinguished road

Unplug the 4wd module (kick plate passenger side) your problem will go away and the tranny will shift as it should. Order for find a used TCCM and you will have 4wd again with a proper shifting tranny.
Grillzy

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Starting Member
paulrugg is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Grillzy. I will give it a try and see what happens. I really appreciate it.