Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Where is this whining coming from on my 03 ZR2???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 05:01 AM
Burt Blazer is on a distinguished road

The clutch for the air conditioning compressor went bad on mine sits in there a bit crooked now so I loobed it up good n tapped the front as it ran until the noise went away, I'm taking mine out anyway so I beat on it till it stopped ha

Old 02-21-2020, 11:33 AM
NCSWP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
Any luck?
Hey Don and everyone else, sorry about that crappy video, was trying to cup my hand over the speaker to block the wind off the fan and hold it in certain areas where someone could tell where the sound was coming from, don't think it worked out too well any thoughts?

Old 02-21-2020, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Its sounds like the psp on the wifes malibu, you say it seems fine and doesnt wine, but did you check the level?

maybe something got caught on a pulley, maybe pull off the belt and check each one? Pain but might help pin point, you'll also be able to feel play in any of the bearings and such.

also go to side of truck and take a straight look at the belt, see if it moves back and forth, that will tell you that one of the pulleys are off line with the rest.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DonL
Its sounds like the psp on the wifes malibu, you say it seems fine and doesnt wine, but did you check the level?

maybe something got caught on a pulley, maybe pull off the belt and check each one? Pain but might help pin point, you'll also be able to feel play in any of the bearings and such.

also go to side of truck and take a straight look at the belt, see if it moves back and forth, that will tell you that one of the pulleys are off line with the rest.
Yeah it doesn't make a racket at all, there is a slight reduction in the sound and rpm but that's normal for any load, that's a good idea about maybe something stuck, the noise was sudden if I remember correctly, it's been so long I'm not sure, but I do believe it popped up out of nowhere and hasn't gotten any worse. thanks. everything seems tight too.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Burt Blazer
The clutch for the air conditioning compressor went bad on mine sits in there a bit crooked now so I loobed it up good n tapped the front as it ran until the noise went away, I'm taking mine out anyway so I beat on it till it stopped ha
that was my next stopping point too, my AC still works great so I might have to squirt some oil or something tosee if I can get a little change in the sound first!

Old 12-18-2020, 09:12 AM

update: Well I logged on this morning and the Blazer forum wished me a happy Birthday...so I logged in and saw this and wanted to give an update...after buying a new alternator and PSP, it turned out to be the idler pulley...I FEEL LIKE SUCH AN IDIOT! But, I guess that's the way she goes; was at least able to get my money back for the PSP. Thanks and Happy Holidays guys.