Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Whirring Noise While Revving from PS Pump Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member
toddalex127 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Alternator, tensioner, idler pulley, those are all pretty easy fixes and we all probably have done them at least once. If you do end up fixing your rig in the parking lot at the parts store, you should be sure you have all the tools you need with you so you can do the repair quickly. Changing out the PS pump would be a chore. Keep the fluid full for now and it could last quite a bit longer.

I once impressed a friend when I came back from a trip to the airport in the city 90 miles north of where I lived to find my alternator was bad. We got my truck to her family business's shop and then we got a new alternator at a parts store. I was able to replace it using the tools in my truck in about 30 - 40 minutes without even breaking a nail! LOL
Yeah my first time rreplacing the alternator in this, I did it out front of the AutoZone I bought it from. Got it done in about 45 minutes, and the folks in the store were pretty impressed.

As for the tensioner and Idler, yeah I'm not worried about those. I am still concerned with the P/S pump, though at this point I'm not completely certain the noise I started hearing was from it after all. I'll really only know once I get the new pulleys and alternator in.

As for tools, I have a full set (mostly, it's uhh... dropped a few bits and bobs over the years) of Snap On socket wrenches I keep tucked away in the back. They were a gift from my GM mechanic uncle, and they've served me very well over the years, though I need to replace them sometime cause, well, a LOT of bits an bobs have gone missing to the point where it's sometimes a hassle.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Beginning Member

So, in the end, I've replaced the tensioner, alternator and idler pulley. The noise I thought was the P/S pump is now gone, and when I got the idler off, BOY was it shot. I think it was my noise culprit.

Everything runs perfectly now, thankfully. I've bled a few times from this project, but it's worth it. It always is.

Three things I replaced.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Beginning Member

For those interested, this is the crappy old idler pulley. Enjoy the incessant metal on metal grind.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XK...up6sDrWs4B66Qw

Old 10-28-2018, 06:00 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

No blood no fun LOL - Glad you got it fixed

Old 10-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member

I'd always heard "If you don't bleed for your car, you don't love it."

But I like yours too! :P

Old 10-28-2018, 06:04 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Thanks shes a year worth of work with a lotta blood mixed in

Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I am glad this worked out for you. I had the opposite experience I fixed the tensioner and idler and rerouted the belt correctly then the PS pump started making noise and throwing the belt.

Found the PS pump had been replaced and the three bolts that hold it on the bracket were missing. I fixed all that it runs like a champ.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:10 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Congrats! It is a nice feeling isn't to have it all back working as it should!

Old 10-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2
I am glad this worked out for you. I had the opposite experience I fixed the tensioner and idler and rerouted the belt correctly then the PS pump started making noise and throwing the belt.

Found the PS pump had been replaced and the three bolts that hold it on the bracket were missing. I fixed all that it runs like a champ.
Well that's a crappy way to find that out. Geez lol! Glad it worked out.

Sadly, after all this work... IT STILL SQUEAKS!

Only when it's cold, and not very much at all. But I'm annoyed. I'm going to try one of those Gatorback belts everyone on this forum talks about, and see if that removes it completely. It... it's not really an issue any more I don't think, but it's the principal of the thing! Once my front end is fixed and stops sounding like a broken squeaky toy itself, I want this thing to just start up and purrrrrr. It may be a nearly 21 year old vehicle, but I'd like to revitalize it. Can't make it look nice when it don't sound nice!

Granted, the piston slap on start up will probably never go away. -.- Can't have everything, I guess.