Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   87 Blazers Starts, Runs, then Dies (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/87-blazers-starts-runs-then-dies-33082/)

mafiaboy01 07-29-2009 10:00 PM

87 Blazers Starts, Runs, then Dies

Hi, I have an 87 Blazer, K5, Diesel. When I go to start the car everything goes accordingly, the glow plugs go out and I crank. I starts quite easily runs for about 3-5 seconds the dies. After that I have to crank quite a bit, it seems as if there is no fuel in the engine because there is no combusting almost like I just ran out of fuel and am trying to get it back to the engine.

This is putting a big strain on the starter and I have broken the support bolt twice :( I feel really bad cranking for so long but there is no other way to start it and I need to get to school. The only thing that I can think of is that there is a leak because the long the car is sitting(overnight) the harder it is to start.

I would appreciate any help, I would like to get this fixed, so I don't have to get under the car with another extractor to get the darn bold out from the starter mount.

Thanks a lot.

Phil

oisinirish 07-30-2009 04:48 PM

Sounds to me like you're getting air somewhere in the fuel system. Try following the lines and looking for wet spots. Check the injectors as well they can let air into the system if loose or faulty. I'm not sure but is there a backflow preventer in the fuel system or does the pump serve this purpose. On another note if it hasn't been done in a while I'd get a good diesel treatment, you may have an algae problem as well.
Changed the fuel fuel filter?

bandidolenny 08-02-2009 10:00 PM

Have you recently changed or drained the water separator?
Try cracking open the supply line to the injector pump and crank it over for a bit in order to purge any air out of the fuel system.
That's what we used to do back in the day when we would accidentally run out of fuel.
Also, change the fuel filter at the back of the intake.

mafiaboy01 08-03-2009 09:11 AM

Thanks for the help, I have changed the fuel filter and released the water(there was quite a bit) I haven't started the car this morning so I'll let you know if this helped.

I was also going to go buy some biocide for the fuel because before I got the car it has been sitting outside for about 5 years with minimum use. SO maybe that will help out.

reelbroke2 08-03-2009 05:48 PM

Drain the water from the fuel tank or you will defeat the fuel filter change. make sure all the water is out of the seperator as said..If you have a primer pump make sure it's tight and not leaking. Air in the fuel will not let it run either..you can bleed the air by loosening 1 injector at a time while cranking the engine over or by using the primer if equipped.

SWATPARAMEDIC 08-05-2009 06:29 AM

Sounnds like it could be fuel injector(s) or fuel pump. I'm not sure what the Blazer has, but my Dodge has a lift pump and injector pump. I had to replace both pumps and it never tripped the check engine light but threw codes on a code reader.