Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   87 k5 starting problems (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/87-k5-starting-problems-54812/)

K5chvygrl 01-30-2011 12:55 PM

87 k5 starting problems

:confused:I bought this truck in May of 10' it stalled every time i stopped. After getting it home my mechanic did a tune up and was running fine. Last week it was -10 outside and I went out to start it and killed the battery trying, it was turning over but wouldnt start. I called a tow truck and after a jump it started right up. I replaced the battery to one with higher CCA and ran the truck for about a week. 3 days ago my boyfriend went outside started the truck, cleaned off all the snow and shut it down. I went out 3 hours later turned the key and it started but stalled right away. I had it towed to the mechanic and it started ran for 15 mins and stalled (not sure i believe this). He replaced the fuel pump, sending unit and harness. Still wont start. He said there is great spark. It turns over strong just wont run. There is no fuel at the injectors and is TBI.
(I have seen a lot of people looking at my question if I need to add more info please let me know, Im new to this) Thank you

I have been reading others posts on here and have come up with a list of things to check:
distributer cap loose?
fuel filter (not sure if he changed it)
accelerator pump?
Blowing out the fuel line
I see that gen 3 engines have fuses for the injectors (how do I know what generation??)
Iddel air control
Coolant temp guage (someone posted that this will stop the ecm from letting the truck start)
and ECM fuses a & b (where are these located??)
MAP sensor????
Ignition Modul??
EGR Valve stuck??
ECT sensor???

He wants to replace the ECM next but after looking at it I noticed it has been replaced before, it doesnt smell burnt and looks clean. I dont have a ton of money to spend right now and if it were warm I would have it here in my driveway doing this myself. Please help me to put a list together in an order for him to try first, or if you have seen this happen before let me know what has worked for you. Thanks again

Mighty Mouse 01-31-2011 07:45 AM

It is very rare for the computer to go bad on them. I would start with a TPS. Also it sounds like you need to find a new mechanic. Now if he did get it running and it warmed up and then shut off I would say replace the coolent temp sensor on the intake too but that is usually not a cold start problem.

IrvJr 01-31-2011 08:04 AM

Check the fuel filter first. They are cheap and pretty easy to do and can cause some driveablility issues. Cant be a fuse if it starts and then dies. When it does run check the flow from the injectors. If its a nice cone shape then the fuel system should be ok. Distr is a good thing to check, pull the cap and check the rotor and cap for that crap that builds up on the contacts(cant think of what its called, too early in the AM).
When it does run, does it run good or crappy?

K5chvygrl 01-31-2011 07:01 PM

Thank you all for responding......It turned out to be a freyed wire in the harness going to the ECM.