Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   89 350L k5 Won't start(electrical?) (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/89-350l-k5-wont-start-electrical-39574/)

Shaggy 01-20-2010 11:42 PM

89 350L k5 Won't start(electrical?)

I have an 89 K5 with a 350 TBI. This issue started like this. I would try to start my truck and ALL power would go out (I mean all accessory power like radio and dome lights, and gauges and starter etc.). I would try a couple more times and then it would work just fine. Then a few weeks after this started I was on the highway and everything died and I had to coast to the shoulder. Now when I try to start it, it will turn over but there is no fuel getting to the fuel pump(fuel pump died.). And when I spray ether in the TBI still nothing. So I assume I have no fuel(I know this for sure because of the pump) and no spark. But still every 3rd crank or so the truck loses all electrical power and then works fine a few minutes later. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe a bad ground, neutral safety witch, ignition switch or a fusible link. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shaggy 01-25-2010 11:55 AM

I think I have it narrowed down to the starter. It has lose connections and lots of spliced wires with bare metal exposed. After I buy new cables and connect it properly we'll see if that was the problem or not. I think I will still have to deal with the intermittent power outage problem.

Shaggy 02-06-2010 08:17 PM

Update

I replaced the starter and fixed the bad splice going to the starter. This fixed my intermittent power loss issue. I then removed the ESCM (electronic spark control module) and the ICM (ignition control module) to have them tested... no one could test the ESCM and no one seemed to have the adapter to test the ICM. After further inspection I saw that the pick up coil had a broken lead. To replace the coil I would have to pull the distributor(because the reluctor was riveted on) so I just replaced the entire assembly which included the pick up coil and the the ICM and the reluctor and this solved my problem. Though I received little help with my issues I hope my woes might point someone else in the right direction.:):):)

swartlkk 02-06-2010 08:25 PM

Glad you got it fixed up! I must have missed your post. I have been having some reoccurring health problems and haven't been able to be on as much in the last month or so. Today has been a fairly good day.

Spectreblazer 02-06-2010 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 296180)
Glad you got it fixed up! I must have missed your post. I have been having some reoccurring health problems and haven't been able to be on as much in the last month or so. Today has been a fairly good day.

don't be getting old on us kyle, who's gonna answer all our k5 questions?
get well man