Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   Brake Problems! Please Help! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/brake-problems-please-help-59915/)

TB2Blazer 06-10-2011 07:24 PM

Brake Problems! Please Help!

Ok I have a 1985 chevy K5 blazer, lifted with larger tires. I just got new calipers on both sides and new top gasket for the master cylinder. My problem is my two front brakes are not locking up completely but they are biting down on the rotor more than they should. I put the front end up on stands tires off the ground. Tried to roll the tires and it was very difficult. I removed the top cover and it sounded like there was a good bit of pressure built up in there it made an escaping gas noise (like opening coke). I bled the brakes again then tried to move the tire and it moved really easily so I thought my problem was solved. Took it on a test drive and started to notice the smell of brakes. Pulled in garage jacked up the front and again the tires are difficult to move. I has not been run in about two years and before when it was running it had no problems. Anyone know what is going on?

2002XTREME 06-10-2011 08:29 PM

Lifted how high with what size tires? From what a friend of mine had to do with a lifted truck and bigger rims and tires he had to put a heavier duty brake system, Involving calipers and rotors . how are the rear brakes grabbing? are both front tires hard to turn? i`m wondering if you got defective calipers.. how long was the truck sitting for? you may need to flush out all old brake fluid and install new. this could be a few problems causing this to the truck. send more info and hopefully someone will be able ring in on a solution..Good luck.

TB2Blazer 06-11-2011 07:02 AM

6" suspension 3" body lift 40" TSL super swampers extended brake lines about 7 years old. Rear tires grab like normal. I got reman calipers from Autozone about a week apart from one another. The truck was sitting for about 2 years without moving. Before that even with lift and tires I never had a problem with my brakes.

abig84 06-11-2011 03:51 PM

ive seen where the rubber brake lines collapse. you can try spinning the tire like you said, feel the resistance, then crack the bleeder open for a second then respin it. if it loosens it up the lines might have collapsed, they will push fluid in but not let it go back

oisinirish 06-11-2011 04:22 PM

Proportioning valve could be sticking?
When we tried to bleed my brakes we found the valve to be stuck and wouldn't let any fluid to the front calipers. You may have the opposite problem. Gently, GENTLY, tapping the the valve seems to have freed it up for me.
For mine it sits on the back side of the front crossmember. A little water in the old fluid can cause wierd issues.