Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   Diffrent kind of Starter Problem (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/diffrent-kind-starter-problem-32007/)

mafiaboy01 06-26-2009 07:03 PM

Diffrent kind of Starter Problem

Hi, I have a big problem with my 87 diesel Chevy Blazer. One morning (right before and exam) I was starting my car and like usually (since I think I have a problem with the fuel pump ans this is my 3rd starter) I have to crack for a long time, usually 10 seconds three times. So on the 3rd time when it usually starts I heard a "crack" and the started started spinning like crazy(and not turning over the engine. After the exam I realized that one of the two(2) bolts that hold in the started had broken right at the thread from the engine with the remaining part still inside. I have removed the started and attempted to remove the remaining part of the bolt this an extractor to no avail. TO add to the problem I think the drilling has made it even more difficult to remove the leftover piece.

Now here is the problem, Since my grandfather had bought this vehicle some 20 years ago there has been at least $20k put into the vehicle. The most recent was repairing the breaks and the front end which cost $600 to do and was done 2 weeks ago. My parents are fed up with repairing the car and won't pay for the repair. So I either have to fix it myself or sell it.

Now my question is, since I can't remove the broken bolt is there a way the replace the part that it bolts into? Any thoughts/suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I really would like to have a working vehicle for the summer.

reelbroke2 06-26-2009 09:03 PM

If my memory is correct the two mounting bolt holes are machined into the engine block. If you plan on drilling it out, use a center punch to mark the center of the broken piece, you may have to grind it flat first. Start by drilling with a small drill bit and work your way up in drill sizes.Then re-tap the hole , i believe its a 3/8 bolt..If you drilled it bigger you can try using a heli coil, The heli coil will tell you what size drill bit to use. Good luck

swartlkk 06-26-2009 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by reelbroke2 (Post 228091)
If my memory is correct the two mounting bolt holes are machined into the engine block. If you plan on drilling it out, use a center punch to mark the center of the broken piece, you may have to grind it flat first. Start by drilling with a small drill bit and work your way up in drill sizes.Then re-tap the hole , i believe its a 3/8 bolt..If you drilled it bigger you can try using a heli coil, The heli coil will tell you what size drill bit to use. Good luck

Yep, that should get you fixed up. A good set of easy outs may be worth a try too. The next trick is getting a drill up there!

Good luck and do let us know how you make out.

mafiaboy01 10-03-2009 10:52 PM

Kind of a late post but thought you guys might want to know. I fixed the first starter, had to drill it out and got some stronger bolts. Then a month later(right before and exam) the other one snapped which I was able to extract. Two months after that my starter died(probably because I have to crank so much on start up). I still had warranty so got a new one. The new one was different then the first and cranks 1000000 times faster. I and also in the process making the rear bracket to prevent anymore problems.