Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   Door glass replacement (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/door-glass-replacement-33946/)

NickMT 08-23-2009 01:01 PM

Door glass replacement

Is there a trick to installing passenger door glass on an 87 K-5 Blazer?
I've tried everything except loosening the regulator, is that necessary?
The Rail is attached to the glass, does that need to be installed seperately?
Any help for my dumb question would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Nick

swartlkk 08-23-2009 03:18 PM

If you do not already have the vent window out, remove that. It will give you a ton more room.

On my full convertible K5, I did not have to loosen the regulator, but it was a chore to get the window back onto the regulator. Removing the vent window will take out the front channel with it which will allow the window to move forward more as well as tip forward. This should allow you to elevate the rear of the window to get the front regulator roller out of the slide on the bottom of the window. Then you can pivot back and pull the rear roller out of the center of the slide rail on the bottom of the window.

Loosening/removing the regulator retaining bolts will likely make it easier on you though.

NickMT 08-24-2009 10:51 AM

Thank you for the post. I did finally get this installed -
The roller closest to the door latch must go in the channel first, crank the window regulator about halfway down and the front of the glass actually moves forward enough to get the roller in the channel.
Then guide the window down while you roll down the window to the maximum, there is a stopper in the bottom of the door. Then you can fi****le the roller into the cut out portion of the channel by moving the glass forward, towards door hinge and then you can slide it back and align glass in the front channel and the rear channel and tighten the channel back down closest to the door latch.
I would reccomend lubricating the channel while you can - after you install the glass and lubricate the regulator gears as well. Lubriplate works well.
Hope this helps someone.
I bought this 87 K-5 Blazer in February for $800.00, no rust and 91,000 original miles on it. 305, TBI, Manual trans. Thought it was a great bargain.

Hooligan 12-03-2009 09:41 AM

OK, I'm def no mechanic and had a hell of a time getting my driver side window in. I read that it was easier if I took the vent window contraption out...so I did on night #2 of the window install.

I finally got the new glass in by putting both roller things in the channel at the same time, w/ the window up the whole way..was that the correct way? Then I jammed that vent window thing back in and got it screwed and bolted back in place. The old rubber is trash so the window kept jamming on the way up but I helped it with my hands.

Problem is now that the front (hinge side) of the glass reaches the top of the frame, and the rear (latch side) is still down about 1/2 inch! wtf?? :icon_doh: Is glass from an 84 different from a 91 or wtf did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks!!

swartlkk 12-03-2009 12:35 PM

Glass is the same from '73 to '91 on the K5. Your glass just is not aligned properly. You need to mess with the tracks to get it to sit proper.

Hooligan 12-04-2009 09:17 AM

That's what I thought when I got it off the guy. I have no idea how to get this thing straight haha Hopefully I can fix it without smashing the 'new' glass

swartlkk 12-04-2009 09:23 AM

Are you sure you have both the front and rear tracks bolted down properly at the bottom? I had the rear track break off at the bottom on my '74 and the window would cock making it a pain to roll up. I fixed it by modifying a full frame rear track (mine is a full convertible so...) to fit. I only had to swap then upper bracket over from my rear track to the full frame track.

Hooligan 12-07-2009 12:33 PM

Um..what? lol You mean I should check down in the door panel? It's a PIA to get down in there ha ha I only slid the old piece off the rollers and dropped a new one in (2 nights of labor later).

There was no window in this when I got it, so maybe it was broken before and I didn't even notice. Both power windows crawl when putting them up or down to. I'll check next time I get out to play with it.

Thanks!!

swartlkk 12-07-2009 01:00 PM

Sounds like you either have weak motors, a tight window track, or a mis-alignment somewhere in the window track.

I'll try to see if I can take apart my extra door to show you where everything is inside.

Hooligan 12-09-2009 09:28 AM

Awesome, you the man! The motors do seem really weak, and I've read that is common (maybe) on this site. Is there a way to 'rebuild' them or what are people doing to fix that problem?