Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   help i want to change my steering (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/help-i-want-change-my-steering-53856/)

powerd_byburritoz 01-09-2011 05:42 PM

help i want to change my steering

Ok i have a 84 blazer with a lift not sure on size of lift because i barely bought it. I was told by a buddy of mine that all lifted blazer like mine have squirrely steering. i want to ask if any one knows what i can do or buy to fix it.:icon_playing:

swartlkk 01-09-2011 07:11 PM

Is your '84 a fullsize K5 or the s-series? I'm assuming fullsize K5. If that is correct, you can do a crossover steering setup where the pitman arm crosses over to the passenger side instead of running back to the driver side. You will need a 2wd steering box, a drop pitman arm (maybe not depending on lift), and a flat top passenger side steering knuckle that has been machined & studded to accept an aftermarket bolt on steering arm.

If your truck is an s-series, then nothing really needs to be done. The steering setup in the s-series is MUCH better than the K5's.

Let us know what your truck is and if it's a K5, we'll get this thread moved to the appropriate section for you.

powerd_byburritoz 01-10-2011 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 395212)
Is your '84 a fullsize K5 or the s-series? I'm assuming fullsize K5. If that is correct, you can do a crossover steering setup where the pitman arm crosses over to the passenger side instead of running back to the driver side. You will need a 2wd steering box, a drop pitman arm (maybe not depending on lift), and a flat top passenger side steering knuckle that has been machined & studded to accept an aftermarket bolt on steering arm.

If your truck is an s-series, then nothing really needs to be done. The steering setup in the s-series is MUCH better than the K5's.

Let us know what your truck is and if it's a K5, we'll get this thread moved to the appropriate section for you.

i have a fullsize k5 sorry for posting in wrong thread..any help will be very much appreciated!!!

powerd_byburritoz 01-10-2011 12:19 AM

help want to change my steering

i have a 84 k5 fullsize blazer i want to change the steering on. im reposting this thread because i had it on the wrong section. the blazer has a 6" lift and 33" tires. the problem is that the steering is very squirrely. i had one person already give me some advice(thanks) if any body has more advice it be very much appreciated!!!!:icon_doh:

wlorton 01-10-2011 01:10 AM

Hey man, dont worry too much about posting in the wrong sections, you are a new guy, and the mods can move things around and show you the ropes pretty well!!!

But hey, you are atleast making the effort to get things right!!!!!

I don't have too much experience with the K5 but if you give a day or two MR KYLE will definitely give you some feedback for your issue...

powerd_byburritoz 01-10-2011 01:15 AM

yeh thankz man..ill be waiting i dont want to go diving in deep waters i cant see the bottom to

helo 01-10-2011 08:27 AM

Well, have you checked out your suspension yet? Jack her up and yank on everything. Shocks can have a lot of effect, too, especially with larger tires.

Steering gearbox is a common problem, you'll be able to feel a bit of play by directly rotating the steering shaft ever so slightly with no corresponding movement on the pitman arm or tires (while it's jacked up!).

There is a procedure to adjust the steering box to minimize this play, here's a link to a page with pictures at FSC: How can I tighten up my steering? I went through the adjustment 3 times before I had satisfactory improvement, the trick was to get the bearing pre-load very (very) snug and not back it off hardly at all.

Otherwise you're looking at maybe getting a new AGR steering box from summitracing ($400), but that'll only cure it if all your suspension/steering components are solid. redheadsteeringgears.com is the only reputable reman company I'm aware of, might be a bit cheaper, but you might have to send them your box if they don't have a core already rebuild.

swartlkk 01-10-2011 08:50 AM

*Merged double posts* - Please be patient and wait for a member of the staff to move your thread for you. Do not just go and post the same question again in a different forum section as this is against forum rules. Thanks!

powerd_byburritoz 01-10-2011 10:30 AM

thanks for the replys and thanks for moving my thread

BigBlockBlazer 01-10-2011 12:54 PM

These are the fullsize GM gurus.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dan...er.htm#knuckle

The customer service is unmatched. Stephen is a great guy to deal with.