Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   Help!! Stock Exhaust Manifold Won't Fit Back On (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/help-stock-exhaust-manifold-wont-fit-back-49743/)

ChevyBlazerChick 10-01-2010 03:54 PM

Help!! Stock Exhaust Manifold Won't Fit Back On

So I started bolting up all my parts for my engine, everything was going nicely... minus the stupid brackets. That is until I got to my Exhaust Manifolds... They are a little less than half an inch off. I even tried my dad's headers for his 79... same thing.

Maybe its from being heated and cooled so many times. I really don't want to buy new ones! Help me :(

Pants 10-04-2010 09:21 AM

I just encountered the same problem a few days ago, and funnily enough I was joking about building a tool that spreads the manifold, like going and buying a really long nut, and two bolts, one reverse threaded so you spread it out like a tie rod... but anyway.

Guess I wasn't the first to think of that because there's already a tool called an exhaust manifold spreader! $12 at Schucks. If Autozone or Napa or whatever automotive supply you use the people at the counter look at you with the deer in the headlights look, just go look in their tool selection, prolly their special tool selection. Google it first to get a picture. They're suggested to be used in pairs, but I had no problems as I had 4 of the 6 bolts in, so I only had to spread one side.

Cheap invaluable tool, works like a dream. Good luck!

ChevyBlazerChick 10-04-2010 09:54 AM

Sweetness!! Thanks a bunch. I'm gonna call here in a minute and see if they have it for a Loan-a-tool. Cause my husband will probably think he's the only one who can do it... then he's gonna break it. Lol. And id rather him break their tool than mine.

Pants 10-04-2010 10:07 AM

I doubt they'll rent it, it's a real small rarely used tool. It is littereally just a 2" long nut with two bolts, but the bolt heads are "V" shaped to fit the sides of a sbc exhaust manifold. Just be careful using it if your husband gets a hold of it and wants to Heman it. It doesn't take much pressure at all to spread that manifold a tiny bit.

abig84 10-04-2010 04:30 PM

That's pretty typical. Happens a lot. One thing you can do if its just barely off is just make the bolt holes a bit bigger. Usually I can get 5 out of 6 bolts in but the last one wants to cross thread so its usually a hair off

ChevyBlazerChick 10-04-2010 05:26 PM

Well I really want to use my dads old headers, but those are more off than my exhaust manifold. I called auto and advance and they don't have it, I know Summit Racing carrys them. I can't remember if we have a Napa or not. Ill have to check. I know there's a Carquest tho.

6.2 man 10-04-2010 10:33 PM

If you were closer I would let you use mine . I found that it works best if you do one end at a time . I spread one end and put bolts in that end of manifold the do the other end and put bolts in there and then tighten it all down

ChevyBlazerChick 10-04-2010 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 6.2 man (Post 368024)
If you were closer I would let you use mine . I found that it works best if you do one end at a time . I spread one end and put bolts in that end of manifold the do the other end and put bolts in there and then tighten it all down

Yeah... Washington is a Tad too far away. Lol

I even checked harbor freight tools and they didn't have one. I'm gonna call the local NAPA store tomorrow. I might have to break out the phone book. If not then Maybe someone in my neighborhood or at the bogs will have it.

Pants 10-05-2010 09:04 AM

Sears.com or Amazon has them online. If you have time to wait for it to ship to you.

ChevyBlazerChick 10-05-2010 04:24 PM

I didn't even think about Sears. Lol. I'm going back down to my truck today so maybe ill check out Sears. I can use my dads internet instead of my phone. That's why my posts aren't pink anymore lol.