Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   major k5 problem will not move!!!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/major-k5-problem-will-not-move-40179/)

Spectreblazer 02-01-2010 10:52 PM

major k5 problem will not move!!!!

so i just picked up my k5 today, as we were loading it on the trailer it started spinning out. so we backed it off and put it in 4wd hi and locked the hubs, now it will not move, so we disengage the hubs and put it back in 2hi,and it still will not move, when i put it in park i can hear this awful grinding noise and the only way to make it stop is to move the 4wd "shifter", do i got a bad transfer case, and can i disengage the 4wd so i can get back to 2hi so i can atleast move it. we spent 3hrs with a come along getting it on the trailer, now its sitting on the trailer in my yard and i really want to get it to auto tech, but i can only get it up there if i can drive it. it is an 82k5 350, although the vin says it had a 6.2L, any help is greatly appreciated in this time of worry.

when it first happened i crawled up underneath and when i turned the front drive shaft it turned both of them. so i assume its locked up. when i got it home i did the same thing but now they both don't turn at the same time. it still will not move, anything i can check or do to at least get 2hi back or solve the problem and have 4wd. its gonna be a dune truck so i need that.

thanks

swartlkk 02-02-2010 06:26 AM

I'm sorry, but did you actually move the truck before putting down the money for it?? This all goes back to my statement earlier... You shouldn't have paid that much for such a basket case.

If the VIN states that it once was a 6.2L Diesel, it likely was. Something to further knock the price down and add to the basket case statement.

Sounds like you have two problems. Different gear ratios front to back AND something wrong with the transfer case (like you were in neutral and not 4HI). There is a possibility that the transfer case is locked up, but that is quite remote, especially since it did move until you put it into 4wd.

Your next step is going to be figuring out what's in there for a transfer case and front and rear gears. SEARCH (GOOGLE and/or BF.com) is your friend since all of the information you need to look up to identify each thing is freely available. Be lazy and I am sure that someone with more time than I will speak up at some point, but I won't reiterate what can be found in a few minutes.

Spectreblazer 02-02-2010 06:36 AM

alright i'll check it out
is there any way to at least get 2hi back that you know of

and if the transfer case didn't have fluid in it would the tranny still try to to force fluid to it. so would this damage the tranny too. (i haven't checked this yet, just trying to get a general idea of what i can test, and how much damage may have been done)

abig84 02-02-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 294385)

Sounds like you have two problems. Different gear ratios front to back AND something wrong with the transfer case (

i could see something like that happening. maybe it f'ed up something in the transfercase. i did buy a parts truck one time that would not go in reverse... literally. wouldnt even roll. the flatbed had to shake it off. i figured it was just from sitting so long. ended up being the transmission.

if you put the transfercase in neutral and it rolls. your trans is jacked up. try jacking the truck up front and back too and see if maybe a axle is messed up too.

hubert hefner 02-02-2010 10:17 AM

could get it up in the air and put it in gear and see if anything moves. sounds like the case or different front and rear ratios.

swartlkk 02-02-2010 12:41 PM

If you pull the front driveshaft and it is still locked up, you have problems in the transfer case that need sorting.

Spectreblazer 02-02-2010 07:42 PM

update: got her moving finally, the linkage that goes to the transfer case is really really lose, i ended up just manually shifting it into 2hi by pulling the selector arm back at the case, so idk if the 4wd works or if it wasn't engaged all the way, im not gonna mess with it until i get it to school, which will be either tomorrow or friday.