Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/)
-   -   Need help with locking hubs (https://blazerforum.com/forum/full-size-k5-1969-1991-gmt415-1992-1994-tech-42/need-help-locking-hubs-56870/)

nathanfoudray 03-21-2011 07:59 AM

Need help with locking hubs

hey this is my first blazer just picked her up for 700 bucks yesterday, i been looking for one of these for about a year and a half and finally my friend was like ya my dad has one in a storage unit he just needs to get rid of, sat for 5 years, paint a little bad 91 with 125xxx miles and other than that pretty good, but the hubs got scalding hot driving from the storage unit to my house less than 5 miles, any ideas on what it could be and if i could do it myself? first four wheel drive vehicle, dont want to take it in the shop because ill end up spending more than i paid for it

swartlkk 03-21-2011 08:01 AM

The hubs are partially engaged. If they are the automatic locking hubs, I recommend you toss them and get a set of manual locking hubs. If they are manual locking hubs, you will need to get them off the truck and inspect the parts. They could just be gummed up (dried grease, etc) and in need of a good cleaning and re-grease. If the locking plates are chewed up, you'll probably need to replace the whole hub.

nathanfoudray 03-21-2011 09:02 AM

they are manual, also unrelated i should probably start a new post but lazy, im down there working on it right now, how do i get the window crank handle off to get the door panel out? and there are two bolts that are stripped for taking the top off, should i cut them with a dremel or what would you reccomend?

swartlkk 03-21-2011 11:16 AM

It's your thread.

For the window handle, a window crank handle removal tool (available at pretty much every autoparts store) will make this quite easy.

As far as getting the bolts out for the top, whatever you can get there to cut the head off with will work. Just don't cut the top.

nathanfoudray 03-21-2011 12:33 PM

alright got the top off, fixed the dent in the door, but still clueless on the hubs, i have no break pads at all left could that be the problem?

swartlkk 03-21-2011 01:11 PM

Heat from the brakes would not be influenced by 4wd or 2wd operation. It really has to be the hubs.

nathanfoudray 03-26-2011 12:42 PM

ok sorry for the delayed response its the first time in days my hands have been clean enough to touch the computer, i took apart the hubs, cleaned, put em back in, still warm to the touch but not like ouch warm, the kinda warm that feels nice on sore hands, still a problem in your opinion

helo 03-26-2011 02:30 PM

as long as you greased everything up really good with hi-temp wheel bearing grease, you should be ok to run it and just check for heat after every drive to make sure there isn't a problem until you're satisfied.

The heat could be coming from your wheel bearings. Did you repack them while you had the hub apart? The special 4-pin castle-looking socket you need is pretty cheap at NAPA (cheaper than ebay). I think the wheel bearing seals are more expensive than the socket..