Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Need input on buying 93 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
sinbig is on a distinguished road
Default Need input on buying 93 blazer

(Sorry I think i first posted this in wrong section)

Hey everyone, first post here.
Looking at a 93 blazer as a second vehicle and it has some issues that I wanted to some input on before I went ahead and bought it. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
-Leaks what im pretty sure is atf fluid from the front right area of the transmission oil pan.
-small oil leak, doesn't drip but at all really, from the rear of the block.
-oil pressure gauge spikes when transmission shifts. otherwise shows normal pressure.
-power steering doesn't work when truck is idling. while driving works great, but if stopped throttle needs to be tapped to get any assistance.
-front passenger axle boot blown and leaking. not alot.
-front differential has small leak as well.
Other than that its got 185k on the ticker but runs strong. shifts ok and 4wd works like it should. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but wouldn't say that any issue I could fix no problem. I come from mostly japanese vehicles where parts are really expensive and things can get complicated for no reason. I am buying this as a second vehicle and would like to be able to drive it for at least a month before I got down to any major repairs.
Any other input anyone might have I more than welcome. Guy is asking 1800 for it btw. Its got a 2" lift and nice rims with tires that have decent tread left.
Cheers

(PIC ON PG 2)

Last edited by sinbig; 09-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

only 185k? thats still only being broke in lol. i have no doubt it will last you a month or more before you start fixing things, and when it comes time to fix the few problems it has there are plenty of people on here to guide you through the repairs and these trucks are fairly easy to work on. 1800 doesnt sound bad i might try to get it down to 1500 but other than that i would get it.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Beginning Member

Hey man! Thanks for A reply! Yeah I think the power steering pump is bad, no biggie. As long as I can source the ATF leak to a pan seal I'm going to buy it. The only thing that is still bothering me is the spike in oil pressure when the tranny shifts???

Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

do you know what psi it spikes to? that could probably be a multitude of things like a bad gauge or wiring. but i suppose its better than it dropping to no oil pressure when it shifts. i don't think the spike would cause a problem tho but im not sure. Oh and there is no check engine light on right? but what i think you should do is make a quick post in the first gen. tech section and ask about the spike. someone who knows more about that will help there. ill do a quick search for you and see if it has already been talked about.

Edit: did the search, and saw someone who had a pressure spike and Swartlkk (very knowledgeable person) suggested it was a faulty sending unit or wiring. Which was my first guess. there was no follow up on the problem after that tho. but just thinking about it i dont see how it could be a whole lot else besides wiring, if the oil pressure is fine at all other times. now if it spiked during acceleration that might be a bit of a problem.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 09-08-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a pretty good truck. If you enjoy driving it then I would buy it. At most it sounds like a replacement seal for the tranny pan and possibly a new axle may be in order. I grew up working on Toyotas with my grandfather and it's such a luxury to work on Blazers compared to the expensive, fussy, complex imports. I like to remind myself that these vehicles were built by people who, in many cases, were not over-educated. There's a beautiful simplicity to much of the engineering. I even like replacing the spider injectors.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks fellas for the input, I thought the spike might be a faulty gauge, it goes all the way to redline for a quick second then goes back to normal, and the cel was actually the one thing I forgot to check. I was worried more that the speedo worked right for some reason, I'll check today when I start it before I buy it. And as far as not only easy to work on, I found a rebuilt tranny and transfer case for around $1000!! My current car I'm having the transfer case rebuilt for the third time, total cost, $9k and change. Pretty happy that if something does goes bad I won't have to sell a kidney.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Von
Von is on a distinguished road

None of those issues sound like deal breakers, but I would talk him down if i could just because of the rear seal leaking. Even though it's a small leak now, it'll be a headache later. leaks don't get smaller on their own... unless you're out of fluid...

Did you check the pwer steering fluid level? Sounds like a silly question, but... I thought at first that my daughter's Jimmy had a bad ps pump and tranny leak... turns out the ps pump leaks and the previous owner used tranny fluid in it, hence, tranny fluid all over the place. That's on the "fix it" list for Old Jimmy too.

If it has the CPI injection definately ask about it's history... Interesting design... I know a lot of people like them but I'm not impressed. I'd swap the one I'm working on now for a TBI unit in a heartbeat. After 28 years, if it starts acting up you might as well go ahead and replace everything in the system... pump assembly, relay, nut kit, injectors, regulator...

Just my $.02

Von

Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Beginning Member

You know what Von the thought of the power steering pump did cross my mind but it dripping down over the transmission pan made me not really think about it further? I'll have to give the pump and hoses a quick once over later.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Beginning Member

Got her for $1700. He wouldn't budge after that. She runs strooonggg! I'll post pics in a while if there's no min post requirements.
One other question though, my driveways on an incline and the leak has stopped? I checked the tranny fluid and engine oil, looked fine. I'm hoping that it was a power steering leak as that is the only obvious mechanical problem it has. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again for your guy's help!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:49 AM

1700 isnt bad. but glad you like it! we are here to help when you need it, ask anytime.

Quick Reply: Need input on buying 93 blazer