Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1979 blazer tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:07 PM
greggotc is on a distinguished road
Default 1979 blazer tailgate

the torque rod is just lying around inside. need pictures of inside tailgate to see where everything goes. thanks

Old 12-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I moved this post to a thread of its own in the fullsize K5 tech section rather than as a reply to another member's build thread.

Do you have a manual or electric gate? Are you primarily interested in just the torque rod mounting or everything? I have a manual gate on my '74 K5 now, but have a complete spare electric gate in storage.

Here are some images from my 73-78 Truck Illustration manual. See if they help until I can get some pictures of my stuff.

Attached Thumbnails 1979 blazer tailgate-73-78-k5-tailgate-illustration_01.jpg   1979 blazer tailgate-73-78-k5-tailgate-illustration_02.jpg   1979 blazer tailgate-73-78-k5-tailgate-illustration_03.jpg   1979 blazer tailgate-73-78-k5-tailgate-illustration_04.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Default 79 blazer tailgate

it's a manual. would like to see pictures of everything together. the spring was also disconnected. my first blazer and first time on a forum. thanks for the help. greg

Old 12-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Having been inside these tailgates a few times, I can say with utmost certainty that you cannot photograph crap in them with the window down and even with the window up the angles make it difficult to know what it is you are looking at. The gate currently on the back of my K5 is quite crusty so it likely won't be of much help other than possibly the window regulator. The latch mechanism is

Do you have specific concerns? Once I know what you are looking for, it will be somewhat easier to get a picture to help you out.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:01 PM

where the torque rod is connected to (both sides) and the spring latch. what is the torque rod used for? thanks

Old 12-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Administrator

My 74 has a torque rod on each side which aids in lifting the gate back to the closed position. The torque rod sticks up inside the outer edge of the gate and is attached to the gate by two bolts that pass through the gate and thread into the torque rod. There is also a bracket and rubber isolator that is located at the mid point of each torque arm to keep them from rattling while going down the road. The other end of the torque rod is curled to go over a pin that is located on the outside of the frame rail under the rear edge of the bed.

When you say spring latch, are you talking about the latches on either side of the gate, the release handle & associated mechanism, or both?

I ask because the manual gate that is on my K5 right now has been modified by a previous owner and does not have a functioning handle on the inside; rather has a screw driver welded to the release arm poking through the top of the gate so I don't know how much help that would be. The complete power gate has everything in proper order, however I cannot recall if any of that is very visible as it tucks up behind the lower portion in the center of the gate. I can pop off the cover and take a look some afternoon hopefully before Christmas.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Would a 1974 Blazer tailgate fit on a 1979 Blazer?