Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you get +12V power from into the distributor?

Have you tested continuity to ground on the distributor base? The ground for the distributor is through the distributor body, out through the distributor hold down clamp, and into the intake manifold.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Beginning Member
86K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road

12 pos came from ignition hot. I also found a hot while cranking 12 volt from my starter to ignition hot and hooked it up for ****s and giggles. nothing happened.

Could be that ground....I;ll have to look into that further. thanks.

What could I do to make sure it grounds better?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can see if you can add another ground wire to the base of the distributor. See if there is a hole through the base or an open spot where a hole could be added to run a small bolt through.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Alot of times when there are suspect connections the coppper wire has been degrade through corrosion, spark due to lose connection etc. It may be worth checking the condition of the wire a few inches either side of the suspect connection. Learned this lesson the hard way on some heavy equipment we have.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member
Default Update again:

Alright, I went to go start it again. after messing with some wires. and the same old thing is happening. I tried another ground, I tried another source of 12+ volts. Nothing. BUT here's the thing, the old problem came back. Where it would get spark for a second after they key was turned off (after of course it refused to start). The fan would also spin in the opposite direction. Here's a video of the problem, and the battery is on a trickle charge at the moment and will be all day. I haven't charged it in a long time, but I know that's not the problem.

and oisinirish: I have done what you said and I made a home-made connection to the coil. brand new wires, cutting off about 6 inches on each wire to get clean copper wire. (attached is my home made connection)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERXFRE5bq-Q

Attached Thumbnails 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?-homemmadeconnec.jpg  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Beginning Member

And the firing order is definitely correct. also, when I turn the key off fuel "jets" upward in a concentrated mist.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
BigBlockBlazer is on a distinguished road

You need to locate a wiring diagram and end this. HEI is simple, the wiring is as follows:

HEI cap connections:

1 - tach feed - usually white wire
1 - ignition on, constant 12v power - usually pink or red

Starter connections:

1 - main power from battery
1 - intermittent 12v power during cranking only - purple
1 - ground - usually the bolts through the starter are used as ground to motor

If this does not work your problem is elsewhere.

Last edited by BigBlockBlazer; 01-05-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member

I double and triple checked everything to no avail. I just sent it to a shop, rolled out on a flatbed. got towed off by the truck "Lil' Buckaroo". Second tow truck driver to compliment the truck. I'll find out what's wrong with it when I talk to the master tech, long time friend of my father so I know I can trust him.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 AM
BigBlockBlazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 86K5BLAZER
I double and triple checked everything to no avail. I just sent it to a shop, rolled out on a flatbed. got towed off by the truck "Lil' Buckaroo". Second tow truck driver to compliment the truck. I'll find out what's wrong with it when I talk to the master tech, long time friend of my father so I know I can trust him.
Let me know what the diagnosis is, so I can put it in my mental library.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by BigBlockBlazer
Let me know what the diagnosis is, so I can put it in my mental library.
Will do, I'll keep everyone updated.

Thank you guys for the help and the time you spent helping me, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?