Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1986 K5 Blazer 4x4 - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
Steeltoe623 is on a distinguished road
Default 1986 K5 Blazer 4x4 - need help!

Hello! I have a 1986 K5 Fullsize Chevy Blazer 4x4. I know the truck has a 305 engine in it (if you need more info let me know). About 2 weeks ago the engine started to choke out on me. At first it was only when I'd come to, or was about to be coming to a complete stop. A couple of days after that the things started getting worse. I would be warming up the engine and when I'd put it in drive the truck would drive just a tiny bit and it would choke out. One thing that I noticed is that it would occur a lot when I was making turns. One night it started out like this. I got it to drive but it would choke out while I was driving but when I'd slow down the engine would start back up but would then choke out again as soon as I'd accelerate and the process would keep repeating. I also noticed that it would backfire sometimes, but not excessively. Later that weekend I had a friend look at it and we ended up changing the air filter and putting in some Sea Foam. We were going to change out the fuel filter but I had the fuel pump replaced a few years back and it seemed as if they changed the filter as well. After that everything seemed fine until everything started up again. I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with it but I've noticed that my steering column (the place where the ignition switch, turn signal lever, gear shifter) is a bit loose. I noticed that when I'm making turns while driving the entire cylinder will rotate about 30 degrees both right and left directions.

I'm just wondering if I'm due for a carburetor rebuild, a general tune-up or if it could be something completely different. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start with a carb rebuild. It sounds like the float is not keeping an adequate fuel level in the bowl of the carb and it is leaning out.

But when you say that the ignition lock cylinder moves as you turn the steering wheel... Is it the part that the ignition lock cylinder mounts into or is it the ignition cylinder itself? If it is the whole upper portion of the steering column...

Old 04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member

It's the ignition cylinder itself. Also, I should have included this as well, the steering wheel is loose as well. A friend of mine was saying there was a bolt or something inside the column that you'd have to tighten in order for it to be stable.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you should be taking apart the column and getting that problem fixed as well.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Beginning Member

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Took apart the steering column. All bolts were loose and one was completely broken in half. Replaced said bolt and tightened all the others.

As for the carburetor, all I had to do was rebuild it. Runs like a champ now. I just have to mess with the timing/idle and everything should be golden.

Thanks for all your advice!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Good deal!