Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

74 k5 - need help with starting system pls!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 AM
blazerluv is on a distinguished road
Default 74 k5 - need help with starting system pls!

Hello fellow chevy lovers...Im hoping I can get some help with the starting system on my 74 k5. Ive been checking the other threads and noticed how knowledgeable (and helpful) everyone is.

I just came back from a long enlistment excited to get started on my truck and since then been having trouble starting it up. I cant get the motor to turn over. I started by making sure that my batteries, wires, and connections were in working order. Next I replaced the starter and ignition switch and still cant get anywhere. Im pretty sure I got my solenoid connections correct (since i practically installed it in rev order). Now im comtemplating tinkering with the distributor hoping to find out where the open circuit is. When I turn the ignition, my headlights dim and I can hear the solenoid click, but nothing from the starter motor. Help please!

I thank everyone in advance for taking the time to help me out...peace

Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome back! and Thank you.

Can you turn the motor over manually? How long did it sit?

You may try using a remote starter switch to bypass anything that might be faulty in the column.

Last edited by oisinirish; 03-24-2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is your battery good? Test the voltage while you attempt to engage the starter.

There is no use tinkering with the distributor as it really does not have anything to do with the initial cranking over of the engine. If it is out of time, it can cause hard starting, but the engine would still turn over initially on the starter.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 AM

yeah i can definitely turn the engine over manually...it was sitting for about a year and a half. A bypass remote starter is something am gonna have to look into thnx

Old 03-26-2009, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Is your battery good? Test the voltage while you attempt to engage the starter.

There is no use tinkering with the distributor as it really does not have anything to do with the initial cranking over of the engine. If it is out of time, it can cause hard starting, but the engine would still turn over initially on the starter.
The battery seems to read enough voltage on my dmm. but thank you for saving me some time as far as working on the distributor, cause those were my initial thoughts also.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

If that battery has been sitting in that truck for a year and a half then don't even bother trying to charge it. Just go get a new one. Otherwise, jump the starter solenoid to see if the starter works.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A remote starter switch definitely helps in the jumping the solenoid trick. You have to be careful not to weld whatever you use to the frame.

I actually am going through pretty much the same thing on the starter for my parts truck (90 suburban). I will likely be pulling the starter tonight.