Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

86 K5 Blazer--Front Wheels Feel Like They're Vibrating Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
Nick_K5_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 86 K5 Blazer--Front Wheels Feel Like They're Vibrating Off

Hi all,

I have this issue and need some advice on what it could be. Sometimes when I press the brakes, typically when going downhill (also think I have it narrowed down to when I'm in a turn downhill, but not positive), my front wheels start shaking extremely bad. Best way I can describe the feeling is that it feels like the front wheels are wobbling off. The entire vehicle is wobbling back and forth almost to the point of not having any control. I am virtually certain that it is occurring in the front of the blazer, not the back. It has happened a time or two when I haven't touched the brakes, but typically occurs when braking.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen that can guide me in some direction.

TIA
Nick

Old 03-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you have worn steering components. You need to inspect the following items:
  • The pitman arm - bolted to the steering gear box
  • The drag link joints - the link that runs from the pitman arm on the steering box to the driver front spindle
  • The ball joints - where the spindles mount to the front axle
  • The joints on either end of the center link - the part that runs from spindle to spindle
  • The frame where the steering gear box mounts - the frame can crack allowing the gear box to move around causing all kinds of weird things to happen
My K5 would develop the shakes going down the road with just the slightest of steering correction. I found that the joints on the ends of the drag link were at fault and replaced them. I haven't noticed the problem since. You really need to look closely at the various joints in the steering while someone cycles the steering back and forth for you.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member

Swartlkk,

You're the man. I need to send you a pie or something. Maybe a bottle of liquor. I'll look into this and post what I find here. Many thanks!!

Did it scare you the first time it happened? Hell it's happened about 20 times now and is still scary.

Nick

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It sounds like you have worn steering components. You need to inspect the following items:
  • The drag link joints - the link that runs from the pitman arm on the steering box to the driver front spindle
  • The joints on either end of the center link - the part that runs from spindle to spindle
  • The frame where the steering gear box mounts - the frame can crack allowing the gear box to move around causing all kinds of weird things to happen
My K5 would develop the shakes going down the road with just the slightest of steering correction. I found that the joints on the ends of the drag link were at fault and replaced them. I haven't noticed the problem since. You really need to look closely at the various joints in the steering while someone cycles the steering back and forth for you.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Beginning Member

Also would add, not that I think of it, there seems to be a lot of play in my steering wheel. Does that reinforce your thoughts of worn steering components?

Nick

Old 03-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick_K5_Blazer
Did it scare you the first time it happened? Hell it's happened about 20 times now and is still scary.
I knew what it was the first time it happened, then it happened about 10 times before I got it back home to work on it. When it first happened I was doing about 65mph and it had a certain pucker factor to it, but I realized what it was then proceeded to slow-down/speed-up to see when it would come on. After that, it wasn't too surprising or exciting as a quick stab of the brakes would bring it back in line. My truck has 33x12.5 tires on it with a worn out steering stabilizer which doesn't help in the case of the death wobble. Big tires with big sidewalls just amplify the problem.

Originally Posted by Nick_K5_Blazer
Also would add, not that I think of it, there seems to be a lot of play in my steering wheel. Does that reinforce your thoughts of worn steering components?

Nick
Play in the steering components will make for the sensation of play in the steering wheel.

One of the first things I would look at is the frame up front. Damage here can be life threatening if left alone. There are weld in repair kits, but you will want to drill holes at the ends of the cracks to stop them from propagating further prior to grinding out the cracks and welding the frame up, then welding on the reinforcement panel.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Beginning Member

Ok thanks.

Will advise.

I knew what it was the first time it happened, then it happened about 10 times before I got it back home to work on it. When it first happened I was doing about 65mph and it had a certain pucker factor to it, but I realized what it was then proceeded to slow-down/speed-up to see when it would come on. After that, it wasn't too surprising or exciting as a quick stab of the brakes would bring it back in line. My truck has 33x12.5 tires on it with a worn out steering stabilizer which doesn't help in the case of the death wobble. Big tires with big sidewalls just amplify the problem.

Play in the steering components will make for the sensation of play in the steering wheel.

One of the first things I would look at is the frame up front. Damage here can be life threatening if left alone. There are weld in repair kits, but you will want to drill holes at the ends of the cracks to stop them from propagating further prior to grinding out the cracks and welding the frame up, then welding on the reinforcement panel.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:04 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

My first thought was warped rotors. That would explain the issue if it only happened when braking. They can get pretty bad and pretty scary, especially when going down long hills because you aren't pressing the brakes hard enough to engage the rotors so you get the pulsating vibration of the pads as they grab the uneven rotors...

But if the issue happens when you are not touching the brakes then the previous diagnosis is the way to go, and always good advice.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 70-K5
My first thought was warped rotors. That would explain the issue if it only happened when braking. They can get pretty bad and pretty scary, especially when going down long hills because you aren't pressing the brakes hard enough to engage the rotors so you get the pulsating vibration of the pads as they grab the uneven rotors...

But if the issue happens when you are not touching the brakes then the previous diagnosis is the way to go, and always good advice.

We looked at everything yesterday for a couple hours. My front brake pads only have about an 1/8 of an inch left on them. I didn't see anything wrong with the rotors, but I didn't look closely. The brake pads need changing very soon. I found no cracks on the frame anywhere near the steering box, or anywhere else for that matter. I checked the ball joints, pitman arm, drag link joints, and the joints running from spindle to spindle. They all seemed to be working fine. No hang ups or binding that I could see. I may need to take another look at these rotors.

Any chance it's a combination of low brake pads and warped rotors?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by Nick_K5_Blazer; 04-01-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if the rotors are warped you wont see anything visually wrong with them. it will be such a minor difference its not visible by eye. as was said if it only shakes when you are braking and stops when you stop braking its probably the rotors. if it shakes all the time or randomly then its a front end issue. in my personal experience everytime i incountered the "death wobble" on my vehicles it has always been due to unbalanced tires, but if you have stock tires for that to be the issue you really have to have something majorly wrong with theim

Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Beginning Member
cheapazz is on a distinguished road

Check out the front wheel bearings too. Jacking up the front of the blazer is the best way to check bearings and ball joints. Get the front wheel or wheels off the ground and grab the tire top and bottom and pull the top while pushing in at the bottom. Shake it like that a couple times and see if there is any play. Look at the ball joints while someone else does the same motion to see if there is any movement. Grab the tire front and back and move it again to check the rest (tie rod ends, drag link ends, pitman arm end). I know you said you checked them already but sometimes they can lie to you if there is pressure on em from being on the ground....especially the ball joints. Don't forget to check the rag joint on the steering shaft too, that will allow loads of play if that rubber disappears.

The next time it happens try to recall what is happening, are you barely touching the brakes when it shakes? (rear drums may be warped) Are you hard on the brakes? Can you feel the shake more in the butt or in the steering wheel? Is the transfer case handle shaking or moving around? Did someone decide to mess with you and engage only one side of your axle hub? or both?........Just some thoughts......Hope anything helps.

Last edited by cheapazz; 05-18-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 86 K5 Blazer--Front Wheels Feel Like They're Vibrating Off