Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

'88 K5 cuts out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member
Challupa Batmann is on a distinguished road
Exclamation '88 K5 cuts out while driving

I have a recently purchased '88 K5 that cuts out while driving in hot weather. There is no sputtering and I can pop it into neutral and restart immediately after it happens. It seems indicative of an electrical issue, and had it into a mechanic who replace distributor, but that didn't seem to help. Took it back, and after a day they said they have no idea. Currently, I plan to go through and manually test the wiring underload with something I can wire up at home, but am open to any other suggestions, idea, or tricks in trouble shooting this type of issue. Also, interested in hearing thought on whetehr it could be something other then electrical issue.

Recently replaced parts: Distributor, MAP sensor, coolant temp sensors, water pump.

Last edited by Challupa Batmann; 07-14-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-14-2017, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

bad coils can do this

Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah cracked coil can possibly cause this. only other thing i can think of, might be unrelated to heat is the egr valves like to go bad on these trucks and will make the trucks randomly just shut off due to them opening wide up at idle or cruising speed. last one i diagnosed i just put it in drive against a tree and watched the egr open up and the truck died, was a 91 chevy but should be the same engine

Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Beginning Member

Mechanic checked distributor, coil, and spark control module.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member

Update, went to junk yard got $35 ECU swapped it out, didn't help. There has been some vibration when accelerating and getting worse(pre-ECU swap), assuming misfire?

Update: pulled rear u joint, one cap had all pin bearings turned to dust. New U joint fixed all vibrations.

Still sounds like some pining and occasionally feels like bogs down when accelerating.

Last edited by Challupa Batmann; 08-12-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: update on repairs
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
yeah cracked coil can possibly cause this. only other thing i can think of, might be unrelated to heat is the egr valves like to go bad on these trucks and will make the trucks randomly just shut off due to them opening wide up at idle or cruising speed. last one i diagnosed i just put it in drive against a tree and watched the egr open up and the truck died, was a 91 chevy but should be the same engine
Have you ever had luck cleaning one yourself or do you just go get a new one?

Old 08-09-2017, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Challupa Batmann
Have you ever had luck cleaning one yourself or do you just go get a new one?
if your talking about a EGR valve yeah i always just bought a new one. in my case it wasnt clogged the diaphragm inside of it broke so it wouldnt hold vacuum and was just leaking all over.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, another sunday spent working on this thing. Previously had mechanic replace distributor and it didn't fix the issue so I got money back and had old one put in, I put in a new one today just for peace of mind. Got timing all dialed in and it helped with some of the loss of power and added a little more pep all around, but the issue still remains.

Seems symptoms have lessened a bit, currently through 25-35mph at moderate acceleration it bogs down for about 2 seconds every 10 seconds or so. If I put petal to floor it goes away. Big ole cloud of smoke(fuel) when starting and runs rich all the time. Did notice EGR vacuum hose disconnected along with AIR pump etc. Also, good amount of gas in with the air filter/intake. Current thoughts, attack the TBI and if i get it to start running leaner maybe replace the cat.

Any Ideas, thoughts, comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 AM
18ryaree is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same issue with my 88 and i've replaced

Brand new goodwrench
Coil
distributer
swaped ecm
oxygen sensor
rebuilt tbi
swapped injecters
new escm
new temp sensor