Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Auto Shift indicator won't read

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Dennis The Menace is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Shift indicator won't read

'90 Full Size Blazer, auto trans; The portion of the dash where the cable rides to pull the shift indicator into position (PRNDD21) has broken off.
It appears to be a corner piece that will be difficult to modify.
Is there any semi-easy fix besides replacing the whole speedo/gages panel? I tried some specific plastic epoxy but it didn't hold against the pressure of the cable and the indicator panel pressing against it.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you snap some pictures of the broken component? Is it the cable or the indicator itself? I think I know what you are talking about, but just want to be sure.

I know that they have replacement parts for the older stuff, but cannot find anything for the newer ones. This may be something to ask a dealer parts counter.

As far as replacing it, you are going to have to remove the cluster as well as drop the steering column down... The cable hooks to the shift indicator on one end and onto the lower collar of the shift tube on the steering column on the other end. Once the cluster is out and the lens if off there are 2 screws that hold the shift indicator into the cluster and it (indicator) has a plastic arm with a hook on it that the cable loops over and then the cable drops through a hole on the right side to hang down, so it can be connected to the lower shift arm on the column. You put it all back together and connect the cable to the column last, just before installing the lower steering column trim. But be sure that when you adjust the cable to read right over the letters on the indicator that you set it with the trans in nuetral and the indicator also to read nuetral. Then the rest should line up when you shift gears.

I do not have any pictures of this and just recently decided not to tear this far into my 1990 Suburban parts truck until I was ready to swap dash/column/engine over to my 74 K5... If you really needed some pictures, I could probably run through it...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Dennis The Menace is on a distinguished road

The cable and the indicator itself are fine. The broken part is a small fixed projection of the lower right side of the cluster base panel that the cable rides on. When the shifter is moved, the cable slides around this projection to pull the indicator into the proper position (in Reverse, Drive, etc.). The indicator is spring loaded to return the indicator pointer to the Park position when the shifter arm is moved back. The cable has a fixed circular end (fixed length) that bolts to the column that eliminates adjustment so the indicator reads correctly as long as it goes around this projection.
I've been able to remove the dash cluster panel and the lens (clear plastic dust cover?) without dropping the column to work on this part but will probably have to drop the column if I have to remove the cluster itself.

So far it looks like I have 3 options: replace the cluster from a junk yard vehicle, massive amounts of epoxy to reinforce this part in use, or cobble up some kind of makeshift pulley/sliding arm that will allow the cable to slide around it without wearing out the cable.

Thanx for the advise. To the Dealer Parts counter guys this chassis is known as a V10 chassis, not a K5. Some of the stuff on it are different than the regular K5 parts. It's been fun finding things like the tailgate electric window drive cable.