Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

automatic locking hubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Beginning Member
88K5blaze is on a distinguished road

probably does hah

Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I only take things apart that need to be taken apart. But I have been doing this type of stuff since I was 6.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I only take things apart that need to be taken apart. But I have been doing this type of stuff since I was 6.
same here. im just joking with yah. it never fun to take stuff apart that doesn't need to fix. but you always learn something from it.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I dissect defective parts to determine the cause though...

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i understand what you're saying. but have you ever took something apart just to see how it works?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Administrator

I definitely have in my younger days. I do not do it anymore though. I do not have the time.

Heck, I tore down my go-cart motor one day on a whim. Took it completely apart. Ported & polished the intake and exhaust ports. Decked the head on the belt sander. Picked up an additional 5mph on my top speed before I changed the gearing to pickup 15mph total. It would top out at 60MPH and this was when I was 10! LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member

thats sick, i learned a trick from an old mechanic to incerase compression. take the head(s) off an fill em in with some nice tig weld, gotta be careful, but they used to do it in the old days

Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Beginning Member
blbikerood is on a distinguished road
Smile Good to know all of this...

You guys touched on what I needed to know. I drive 20miles back and forth to work. SO I could lock in the hubs and keep it in 2 wheel drive with no damage?? That is good to know. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Yep, no damage other than to your mileage (which won't be severe). It is much better than getting stuck and having to jump out to lock in the hubs!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member

agreed

Quick Reply: automatic locking hubs