Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

differential cover upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default differential cover upgrade

hello!
i wish to upgrade my differential cover (gm8.5 10 bolt) on a blazer k5 ,90.
I'm having trouble sealing my cover, it is in bad shape and I've tried to seal for five times and it still leaks.
I've found several covers on the internet but i was wondering if those chrome or stamped cover are stronger and thicker than the original one? after all they cost about 30$ so I'm not sure that purchasing them will be an upgrade..
just an example: http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...roducts_id=180

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Beginning Member
83GMC-JIMMY is on a distinguished road

yarinzim, I'm not sure what type of prep work you've done in the past five attempts, but here are a few things to check for. Make sure both mating surfaces are completely free of all debris. You may even want to lightly sand the mating surfaces with some mild grit sandpaper. Also, since you said your existing cover is in bad shape, lay it down on flat smooth surface and verify if the cover is warped. Last, make sure your new gasket is free of any defects and even though it may say on the instructions to install "dry", I recommend you still apply a small amount of high temp RTV around all holes and around the perimeter of the all mating surfaces. Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

About the cover thickness... You are likely to be disappointed in the thickness of most aftermarket covers.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Beginning Member
WarrenC is on a distinguished road

Dont waste your money on those cheap diff covers, they're pretty cweak and flimsy. Get something like http://www.ntwonline.com/GM_10_BOLT_...P14128C377.cfm as the old saying goes you get what you pay for. I know a rockcrusher is probably a little extreme for a 10 bolt, at the very least get an OEM replacement. I mean if you just drive around on the road and do some very light wheeling a cheap one might suffice but i would treat it like a space saver tire.