Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Factory roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Factory roof rack

So I purchased a 94 blazer sport a while back with 100k on it and the paint was in horrible shape. I ended up working with my dad to tear the thing down and paid the shop he works for to re-paint the whole thing. Something I neglected to pay attention to was it had no roof rack. At the time I really wasn't thinking about it because I have actually never used one. But I kind of like the idea of mounting a basket on this rig so I can carry some stuff and keep it out of the interior. I found a k5 blazer at the pick-n-pull out here and it has a factory roof rack. If I remove this rack, what all is involved in mounting it to my roof? do they need to access the underside of my roof by removing the headliner? or are there already factory holes on the roof that i don't know about?

Old 05-05-2016, 12:27 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

There are no factory holes existing. Odds are that a rack off a K5 is too long and too wide. Best to find a rack from the smaller Blazers/Jimmys that will fit, or make a custom one. You don't need a roof rack to have a basket up top.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:57 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jayj99jimmy
So I purchased a 94 blazer sport a while back with 100k on it and the paint was in horrible shape. I ended up working with my dad to tear the thing down and paid the shop he works for to re-paint the whole thing. Something I neglected to pay attention to was it had no roof rack. At the time I really wasn't thinking about it because I have actually never used one. But I kind of like the idea of mounting a basket on this rig so I can carry some stuff and keep it out of the interior. I found a k5 blazer at the pick-n-pull out here and it has a factory roof rack. If I remove this rack, what all is involved in mounting it to my roof? do they need to access the underside of my roof by removing the headliner? or are there already factory holes on the roof that i don't know about?
It`s too bad you don`t live near each other.I took my roof rack off amonth ago.I would have sold you mine for cheap.To me it looks so much better without it.But yea the full size k5 is way to large in size to able to fit your 94.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the OP has a fullsize 2dr Blazer. It isn't a K5, but that's besides the point.

If your roof does not currently have any holes, you will need to make holes to secure a rack, regardless of its origin. I would suggest removing the headliner so you will be able to see where the supports run and place your new fasteners through the supports, not just into the roof tin.

You may also want to look at aftermarket baskets that clamp on at the edges and do not require permanently modifying your roof.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road

yes swartlkk is correct, it is a 1994 full size blazer or 2 door Tahoe, whatever u wanna call it. The vehicle I found the roof rack is identical to mine except its severely damaged lol. But the roof rack is the factory one and is the one that would fit my roof however it sounds like I will be needing to drill holes and removing a bunch of crap. As far as the baskets go, I guess I didn't realize there was a possibility of adding a non permanent basket. I am going to do some research into these and see if I can find a solution that way. I do like the look of the rig without a rack, but when I finally get enough money for a set of wheels and tires and possible mild lift, the rack will make it look better. baby steps... baby steps.

thanks for the suggestion on the rack that doesn't mount permanent, ill check into it.