Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Fuel problem for engine swap

Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
davacue is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel problem for engine swap

I installed a engine from a 88' GMC Suburban 5.7 (350) TBI in my 85 Chevy blazer K-5 4WD I had bought this engine long block crate from GM. The engine removed was also 350 but with a carburetor and was fueled with a manual fuel pump. motor installed was fueled with a in tank pump witch the Blazer dose not have. With the Engine switch we also replaced wiring harness and brain from Suburban. My question is how do I fuel this engine? Can I install a in line electric fuel pump with the right pressure I need for the TBI? If I can will the existing wiring run the pump? PLEASE HELP

Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah they sell inline fuel pumps for pretty much every application. friend of mine had a fuel injected 350 in a jeep with the pump in his frame rails. i know that for a fact cause he was always messing with it on the trails.

tbi doesn throw alot of pressure but you may have to get a line kit, hose clamps are kinda iffy for tbi. i have them on my return lines but wouldnt use them for my pressure line

Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Get an electric fuel pump. Put it close to the tank. Get an adjustable fuel regulator while you're at it.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
LS1K5 is on a distinguished road

I did the same thing but with a LS1 and found the easy way to go was to buy a gas tank from a TBI blazer and put it in. I had to put a high flow fuel pump and external pressure regulator on mine but you won't need to do that.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM

Update: I've got the engine running with a few electrical changes to the system , using the old fuel pump from the suburban.

I installed it into the Blazer tank. Complete with fuel lines, etc.

New problems have surfaced.

1. While driving, at various speeds, engine wants to stall out. Not sure if it's starving for fuel or flooding?

2. Fuel gauge is pegged all the way on :full". Along with temp. gauge and oil pressure gauge.

I could use some advice on what to do......leaving for Arizona driving this rig next week.

Thanks for everyone's help with this project.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Default update

Originally Posted by LS1K5
I did the same thing but with a LS1 and found the easy way to go was to buy a gas tank from a TBI blazer and put it in. I had to put a high flow fuel pump and external pressure regulator on mine but you won't need to do that.
Update: I've got the engine running with a few electrical changes to the system , using the old fuel pump from the suburban.

I installed it into the Blazer tank. Complete with fuel lines, etc.

New problems have surfaced.

1. While driving, at various speeds, engine wants to stall out. Not sure if it's starving for fuel or flooding?

2. Fuel gauge is pegged all the way on :full". Along with temp. gauge and oil pressure gauge.

I could use some advice on what to do......leaving for Arizona driving this rig next week.

Thanks for everyone's help with this project.

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 PM
LS1K5 is on a distinguished road

If your blazer tank was not originally fitted with a fuel pump it doesn't have the internal baffle for the fuel pump. The baffle keeps the fuel from sloshing away from the pump pick up during acceleration, this could be your fuel problem. As for the cluster, check the connector where it plugs into the ribbon cable they tend to get messed up.