Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member
bignate74 is on a distinguished road
Default leaf springs

ok i found lifting blocks for CHEAP! but im not sure if they will fit it says there 2.5 does any body know what size leaf springs are on a 1986 full size there factory leaf springs is all i know

Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to measure it, but you should be able to as well. 2.5" sounds about right for the spring width.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member

yea i just got home and measured them its 2.5 but how hard are they to put on?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They can be a challenge if the nuts won't come off of the u-bolts nicely. A hot wrench makes short work of that though. The blocks will come with new u-bolts so that is not a problem.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member

o ok thanks i really appreciate it i should get them and put them on tomorrow is there anything else i need to know?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I would jack the truck up in the air and put the axle on jack stands. Then jack the truck up further with the jack on the frame to a point just before you lift the axle off of the jack stands and support the frame at this height. You now can remove (or cut) the u-bolts off. Jack the frame up enough to put the blocks in and then lower it back down, again supporting the frame properly before moving to installing the new u-bolts.

The reason I say to put the axle up on jack stands is just to keep it in one spot.

What brand of blocks are you installing?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member

um im not sure yet i found them on craigslist
would it really matter what kind it is?(not trying to sound sarcastic or anything)

Old 03-18-2009, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

hot wrench = torch?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator

The only reason I ask is to make sure you are going to be getting everything you need to install them. You should always install new u-bolts given the age of them and the likelihood of having problems getting the old ones out. Plus, depending on the amount of lift, you may need longer ones anyhow. The stock u-bolts do not leave much, if any, room for blocks. I know mine do not.

Just trying to make sure that when you get things, you get everything you need.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member

ok well i think the guy is blowin me off so im just goin to go to pep boys or o riells and get some but does what they sell only some with two lift blocks?

Quick Reply: leaf springs